never worked out before, wanna start, advice needed

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by seven, Jun 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seven

seven New Member

i wanna start working out so that i can define my bicepts, pecs, and maybe get a 6 pack.

My problem is that i have never "worked out" (in a gym) in my life, i'm a fit guy who goes running once or twice a week, after a run i just do 50 or so push ups and situps.

so i have a few questions:

Should run before working out or workout then run,
    should i continue pushups/situps after runs or will that be redundant if i work out. (i need to be able to do 55 push up in a min and 55 sit ups in a min (AF fitness tests))

also I plan on running everyday now, so should i change my running distance i normally do 2-3 miles a run.

should i worry about supplements at this point? i dunno, i don't want to do things that are inefficient

any help would be appriciated.

cliffs: I have never worked out in a gym before, wanna start, need pointers.

2. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

read the stickies and dont over think so much.

3. seven

seven New Member

i'll look through em again, but it seemed like they were all for losing weight, or bulking up. I'm not really interested in either, really just want help starting out.
    Stuff like how much i should lift when i first start doing curl, and the freaquency of how much i have to do this stuff. i seach google on the matter, but i get conflicting answers.

4. seven

seven New Member

i really don't know, i'm doing this partiall cause of free time.
    maybe b/c everyone eles is doing it? it's better then just sitting aroung all day, i guess

5. ideeosinkruhcee

ideeosinkruhcee With time and tons of food, I'll someday upgrade t

6. pt

pt New Member

:rofl::ugh::wtc:

7. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

I predict you quit after a week.

Don't waste your time.

8. Galt

Galt Mindless Philosopher

this man speaks the truth

come back with a defined goal

9. Riot

Riot OT Supporter

when i started it was only because my friends lifted and they kept asking me to join them, and finally i gave it a shot. i had no idea what goals or proper nutrition were; the friends who got me started still don't.

why's everyone telling him to quit before he even starts? i thought it was normal to not know what the hell you're doing when you first start out.

:dunno:

10. seven

seven New Member

you might be right, i didn't really get the advice i wanted on the fourm, but i guess it's my own dumb fault for not researching before posting.

Anyways, i just went to the Student Rec Center and decided to wing it, however they had trainers their, and these guys told me everything i needed to know.
    I've decided to take a picture of myself after every workout, after a month i might post the pics of before and after. (not expecting too much growth, but at least noticable)

anyways thanks for the encouragement OT, maybe i'll post on this forum in a month, pending i don't quit.

11. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

It's probably normal to not know what you're doing when you start out, but to not even have a reason to want to lift probably isn't good.

12. cavefish

It's not that I don't think you can do it, its that if you just go in with no goal and half-ass around you're not going to get anything out of it and it will be pointless.

But you may find yourself addicted and might still lifting years from now. In fact I hope you prove me wrong :p

13. seven

seven New Member

i see where you are coming from. I'm sure people who do this stuff hardcore see people like me come in all the time at the begining of the year b/c of resolutions and waht not, only to be gone in a week.

maybe i'll find a reason to do this when i start doing it. :coolugh:

14. damiand

damiand Proceed

Jesus you guys are harsh on people. Help him out before you make fun of him. If you want to gain your 6 pack and what not chances are you want to cut. But in order to have muscle you first have to put it on by bulking...

15. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

don't come back here

16. cavefish

Yeah. I'm not trying to be an ass, but first you need to define a goal and what you want to get out of it. Then we can help you lay the foundation and take steps towards that goal.

17. ~stangzorized~

~stangzorized~ New Member

Don't listen to all these guys man, they have no idea what they're talking about. You just need the frat work-out, it's a secret workout actually that I heard about in an underground sigma phi fitness club. Do two sets of flat bench, two sets of barbell curls, and 565 situps four days a week. Trust me man, it definitely brings in tail.

Oh yea, when doing the curls and bench, make sure to at least go 42 pounds heavier then your max, it really stretches that muscle.

18. NJGuy

NJGuy "Fuckmefuckmefuckmefuckmef uckmefuckmefuckmefuckm OT Supporter

Your posting on the wrong forums. These guys love to beat noobs heads against the walls. Dont expect many direct answers.

That type of mentality pisses most off around here. That type of mind set is the butt of many jokes. If your going to workout you should workout your body. Not just 3 muscle groups.

Nothing is wrong with wanting to have nice pecs, abs, and biceps... But if you got no shoulders, no lats, no triceps, no biceps... your going to look like a fucken alien nerd with huge pecs, ripped abs, and half your arm big.
    Not to mention tiny chicken legs... or when you walk away a flat back with no ass.

Work your whole body trust me on this. These people here dont bust on that mentality without good reason. Its because they all know how retarded it is to think like that.

Im a workout noob myself. Always stayed in shape other ways. Your asking allot of the same crap I was when I came here. So here is my outlook on it.

1) As posted http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=1574598
    Is referred to as "christophers workout" around here.
    Its a very good general strength (base) building workout many people seem to have great results with. Its based off a well known strength trainers football workout. If you dont feel like looking into it you wont go wrong following this workout for a year.

2) http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html bookmark it now.
    This website helped me the most. It allows you to pick and choose muscles. See different exercises that will work each muscle groups. Show you what exercises are Compound or isolated (work one or multiple muscles) Show you the proper motions for each exercise. This site allowed me to get a mental picture of how everything worked.

The answer I found for this was...

Before - if you run before you exhaust energy that could have been spent on the workout. Basically, you want to start a workout fresh and full of energy to get the best you can out of it.

After - if you have energy to run after your workout. Your not working out right.

What im doing is running on my off days except for the day after I lift legs.
    If you are going to run everyday. I would suggest workout in the morning run in the afternoon or visa versa. Dont do them back to back.

As far as pushups. You want your muscles to have proper rest when your working out. I wouldnt recommend doing them after you work those muscles for at least a day. There is such a thing as over doing it.

As for situps. You can do these everyday if you want. Im doing 8 minute abs on my run days. Gives me a quick effective all around ab workout. I really like it. Abs heal very quickly. So you can do them everyday if your worried about a 6 pack.

Thats all upto you. Only you can be the judge of how much running your body can handle. My only suggestion is dont run after you work legs. Most likely you will be so sore after you wont want to run. They will need their rest.

I dont like sticking crap in my body. I dont care what an expert or scientist says about it. Only thing I will suggest is you try to eat healthy, watch your calories, salt, & sugar. Also check out your protein intake. You would be amazed at how much protein is recommended.

I have recently started drinking Whey Protein shakes to help me with my protein intake. Also I jumped on the fish oil boat too. Thats as far as I go besides a one-a-day multi vitamin. (The ones from bulknutrition turn your piss bright florescent yellow, its really cool)

Hope that helps you some.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  19. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

exrx guy's form is shit on most lifts.

20. NJGuy

Maybe... but all of his forms are shining examples to someone who doesnt know shit about lifting. Your talking about workout noobs here.

That site is an awesome tool to learn about lifting.
    If you want different forms, better forms, lift techniques.... thats all advanced subject matter & your better off getting info from elsewhere. Personal Trainer, Books, Other websites, self experiance, ect ect.

21. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

22. seven

seven New Member

thanks for the help, this is exactly the sort of thing i was looking for, i'm looking forward to starting "Christphers Workout"

23. NJGuy

Good luck.
    I based my workout off of that same one. Changed it up a bit to suit what I was trying to do.

Also when I said
    Light running is cool.. as a warm up. But the type of running it sounds like you like to do I would keep it separated.

24. y0gfx

y0gfx BURAAAJYANAII!!!

25. princess0fdiabl0

princess0fdiabl0 The Hairy Animal

thats because, aside from endurance and energy goals, this is all you can productively do; gain muscle and lose fat. You could also gain fat and lose muscle but most people arent into that.

and if you throw the tone word in i swear to god ill kill you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.