MIL Never thought enlisting would be this hard lol

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by tubachris85x, Jun 11, 2009.

1. tubachris85x

tubachris85x New Member

It's been awhile since I posted about this, but I was all set and ready to enlist with the National Guard. I was going to be drilling in Pensacola with the 153rd, as a Calv scout. Everything was all set and ready, I went to MEPS in Alabama, and passed everything. I then go sit down, and they see that I had a Kidney stone last year, not re-occuring or anything, just a one time thing. I thought it was a minor thing. They tell me "we need the records on this."

This meant that I would NOT swear in that day as I thought, and that I had to drive back up the following week. :squint:

I get the records, get them to my recruiter to enter in the database. The morning I was supposed to leave, I get a call, my recruiter saying that because of the kidney stone, that I would have to wait a year from the day I was diagnosed with it before I can enlist :rl::rl::rl:

Not only do I have to wait till around January or so, but my MOS was considered non-critical after June 1st :wtc:

Well, my next option right now is the reserves, my buddy who's father is in charge of national guard recruiting for Florida, told me to go that route, and that they would most likely be able to get me a waiver for it. I would wait to go through national guard, but financially, I cannot wait that long, and my parents can't keep supporting me for long.

Just waiting for the reserves recruiter to get back with me once she gets all the records and paperwork transferred from the national guard to see where I can go from there. I'm hoping that I can get an MP MOS, considering that they don't have many combat related jobs...We'll see..

2. mangid

mangid OT Supporter

how did they find out that you had a kidney stone?

3. origin unknown

origin unknown OT Supporter

get a job until then, jesus... the reserves only pays 200 a month. you could deliver papers for that rate...

4. Baldwizzle

Baldwizzle New Member

I'm having the same problems with my application to the CF as well. They've delayed my entrance into the CF by over a month because of a little scar on my left eye that blurs my vision a bit.

At this rate, I probably won't be able to get on course this summer. I'm probably going to have to do basic over the weekends in the fall while I'm taking a full course load in university.

5. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

yea how did they know you had a kidney stone

6. tubachris85x

tubachris85x New Member

I told them while at MEPS. They really like to emphasize that 2 year jail sentence if they find out you didn't put something down, or lied about it. I guess it was my own fault for speaking up about it, but I really thought it was a minor thing

7. mangid

mangid OT Supporter

:ugh:... how are they gonna find out if you don't tell them? I could see if you had a scar or something obvious... yeah, write down what happened. But why tell them petty shit like that if it happened years ago and doesn't affect you now in any way?

8. tubachris85x

tubachris85x New Member

I just didn't know

9. nolecdt

nolecdt New Member

CAV scout. It's the CAValry. Not CALvary.

10. Off

Off Memento Mori

Being a reservist sucks, get used to it bro :hs:

They're really touchy about vision, especially if you're going infantry or another combat arms MOS. What regiment you joining?

11. Baldwizzle

Baldwizzle New Member

Overall, my vision isn't that bad. My right eye is better than 20/20 and my left eye can be corrected to be 20/20 as well - they just needed a note from my eye doctor telling them it was just a scar, and not something else.

Once I get in, I'll be working at the 737 comm squad, which is in the 38 CBG.

12. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

That's that FSU education right there.

13. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

They know everything about you. :squint:

14. endemicW

endemicW fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu OT Supporter

the military isnt as high speed as you think.

15. nolecdt

nolecdt New Member

+1

16. mangid

mangid OT Supporter

Criminally, yes.

Medically, they know what you tell them or what they can see.

17. tubachris85x

tubachris85x New Member

Quick question..

I talked to my reserve recruiter, she told me that all the paperwork and whatnot from MEPS in Alabama is being transfered to MEPS over in Jacksonville. What are my chances of having to go through all that shit again? I'd hate to have to go through MEPS all over again, and considering all the strories I've heard about Jacksonville MEPS, I really don't want to have to go there.

18. burn__

burn__ New Member

i had my info sent from Phoenix MEPS to Jacksonville MEPS (where i processed).

if everything was correct at the first MEPS, youll only need to redo the height/weight and the 'duck walk' room. when i went to redo mine they didnt make us duck walk, just bend over to check your spine and make sure nothing was out of whack.

and jacksonville for me, runs a lot slower than phoenix did. but they have biometric scanners now so once youre in the biometric system, it goes a lot more quickly.

19. tubachris85x

tubachris85x New Member

True..I just hear alot of stories about how Jacksonville MEPS likes to DQ people for the littlest things, just so they don't have to do the paperwork.

20. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

tuba doesnt go to fsu, just tcc