SRS neurological disorders

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dr_jerkvorkian, Apr 19, 2006.

1. dr_jerkvorkian

dr_jerkvorkian New Member

i've been making a lot of references to my epilepsy, so here's the deal:
    i fell down a flight of basement steps when i was an infant and landed on my head. things were fine for me basically.. a few inconsequential seizures here and there during childhood. the thing is, i think they are getting worse and worse as time goes on. they started as simple emotional drifts, turned into seized hyperventilation, and the last major one i had was about 5 years ago when i actually saw bright flashes of light for several minutes as i was trying to go to sleep. i'm actually a religious/spiritual person so i chalked it up to some strange spiritual occurance and left it at that.
    the thing is, that i've only recently discovered about my condition and the symptoms that went along with it. i'm just wondering if anyone has any history or experience with it and what i can expect from here.
    i feel like knowing is really half the battle (maybe it's the whole battle in this case since it's a head condition) and the confusion and the overall mood swings have actually gotten easier for me to control now that i "know" what the problem is.. it's just that my headaches are getting more frequent and rushes of emotion, while they are happening, are getting quite unruly. i actually start laughing when it happens sometimes now because i can feel the rushes and just think to myself "ok, well at least you know WHY you feel this way for no reason!!" instead of getting frustrated and burying myself in work or something.
    it's not a really big problem for me, but it is still frustrating.. so yah, just wondering if anyone has had to deal with anything like this and maybe has some tips for dealing with it?
    thanks a bunch :wiggle: :)

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Your brain is like your own personal windows XP. If it gets disturbed your life can get disturbed, from mild to severe problems. A neurologist could run a diagnostic MRI scan on you, CAT scan, to see if you have any 'brain' damage. What i like to know is, did you get to see a doctor after your 'event' took place? , these kind of things follow you for the rest and are sometimes done off as 'not important' , i might even agree with that if it weren't that your situation is degrading. I would prefer it if you would consult a neurologist about your epileptical kind of disorder. Maby there is a problem, and maby with medicines , further degradation might be prevented. The light flashes might be a spiritual experience, but you having had such a blow to the brain my gues is that its brain damage related.

3. dr_jerkvorkian

i've never personally gone to a neurologist about it, and am a little uneasy for a number of reasons:
    -- might not be epilepsy at all, i might just be some wack job that got wired wrong somehow :p
    -- might be partial epilepsy and not much can be done to improve a mild situation
    -- might be serious epilepsy and require surgery (really really really unlikely, imo...)
    this is still kind of new to me, and am slightly anxious. i can go to the local university and have a "free" mri done (they do experimental mri's for various different studies, it's not a checkup obviously but i can at least get an image taken for free from someone who is used to seeing brains)

the other reason why i'm weary of health care in general is that i've been diagnosed with a lot of crap that got blown out of proportion (asthma, for example..probably due to the increased sensitivities with this now majorly lingering condition.)
    even though neurology is a specialty, i'm still a little distrusting of going to one. i think i'd have to go through my main healthcare practition anyway because of the way my healthcare works (yuck! they were the bastards that gave me an 800 number to the hospitol when i went to ask about counseling services)
    so my crappy healthcare is another issue... i'll have to look up that info when i get home or something, i really hate dealing with this stuff though

and the other thing about the flashing lights, is that i didn't think it was serious at all after it happened. i was laying in bed kind of aggrivated that i couldn't fall asleep and then all of a sudden blurs of light start rotating around me.. i couldn't tell you how long it was because it felt like 10-15 minutes, but i know it wasn't for that long... i was thinking to myself the whole time "god just make this stop". it couldn't have been longer than a few minutes (the actual peak) and this was before i had any clue that it might be epileptic. the other problem with epilepsy is the confused state it creates, i'm convinced that there are a whoooole lot more people out there that have epilepsy and don't even know about it
    thanks for your advice btw

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

What the fuck are you thinking about talking about this here, and not with a doctor? You're joking yourself if you think you can self diagnose. You have no idea what is going on. You're just making assumptions. Look, if it is epilepsy... there are treatments. Self diagnosing using the internet is really, really dumb.

I don't give a shit if you don't like doctors or if yours pissed you off. Pick a new one. You can change your primary doctor if you want. Just GET to one. You're really being an idiot, and I can tell that you're smarter than that.

You don't need 'tips' for dealing with this. You need to see a doctor. Tomorrow.

5. dr_jerkvorkian

wowza! if you didn't speak the truth, i'd be pissed at your tone! but you do make excellent points..
    ... i've been living with this all my life anyway, what's another day? i was also mostly curious to see if anyone had the same set of symptoms..
    (i can't change my primary doctor btw... it's part of my crappy healthcare, i always have to go through the same hospitol annex. i may be starting a new job with halfway-decent health benefits though. won't know until june/july =[)

anyway, the doctors at the hospitol annex are strange. i was in for food poisoning once and the doc made me drop my drawls to check my nutsack. let's just say it was valentines week and i had a heart-shap ed surprise for my sweetie ready. but then again, i'm sure he was the one thinking i was strange!!:ugh2: :hsd:

6. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Stop walking around the problem, confront your issue. 10 years from now you'll still be walking around with mental issues, while it might have been solved 3 years ago. Doing nothing results in nothing. I had the same thing i was worrying for 10 years about some health issue, i finally managed to get the courage to get it checked, doctor told me it was nothing. 10 years worrying for nothing. :hs:

7. dr_jerkvorkian

:drama: yah .. guess i know you guys are right..i've gotta just sit down and devise a plan of attack..:hsd::mepoke::hyper: :kdubbd::kdubb: :kdubbd::kdubb: :kdubbd:
    ... these dancing smilies are soooo cool!:embd: :hsughw:

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Don't devise shit. Pick up the phone and call a doctor. It sounds like you've got social anxiety as well.

9. dr_jerkvorkian

dammit dude, stop harrassing me. :p your av is reminding me of this gay roomate i had once. he would parade around the apartment half naked and touching his nipples sensually. it really bothered me one time that i had to just get up and leave the apartment without saying a word. and i don't think i have social anxiety, anxiety implies a problem, i don't have a problem. what problem? :)

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

If you haven't called a doctor yet, you have a problem.

11. dr_jerkvorkian

dude... i *yam* a doctor, check the screenname :p

nb: i'm going to be able to get it done soon, thanks for your concern everybuddy