Networking / Routing / Security / Voice questions answered here!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kewlb, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Kewlb

Kewlb New Member

Post up anything you have ever wanted to know about Networking, Routing, Security, and Voice in this thread. Since I deal with Cisco products day in and day out most of my gear-specific advice will be targeted at Cisco, but I will try to stay as general as possible.

I will answer you in my own words and try to explain instead of just pulling random crap from search engines and I will certainly let you know if I do not have the knowledge to answer your question.

serious posts only, lets try not to play stump the chump as I am sure just about everyone can pull up some kind of question I just can't answer/explain off the top of my head.

I will try to reply a few times per day covering everything that is posted for as long as the thread is around.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

what the fag? :rofl:

definitely screams ghey. :mamoru:

3. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

OK, the one thing that I've never managed to grasp from my NET+ course is subnetting...i mean i passed the exam, but I still don't get it. Got any tips/tricks to make subnetting easier?

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I want to put a microphone in my pants and send my recorded farts securely to my home where they can be displayed and listened to on the web. Like a blog.

How can I accomplish this using Cisco hardware?

5. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

Display farts? :bowdown:

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Well, I want audio, with a link and a timestamp and a GPS code/google maps link with round bubbles indicating where I farted, when and the diameter indicates likely area covered based on volume and duration, and maybe other analyses of the noise later to account for SBDs. That way I can fart and claim them. And I need some coding in the fart-detecting embedded device/microphone to only pick up farts.

7. Kewlb

Kewlb New Member

yep, I am a big fag. I obviously have to suck cock because of this post.

next question.

8. Kewlb

Kewlb New Member

Why use a microphone? Capture the full range and tone of the fart by putting the IP Video Phone's receiver down your pants. This way you can not only capture the audio but also the video. This can then be published using an XML phone app to the Cisco Digital Media Server which will then push your fart video out to the 5,000 networked display devices around the Cisco RTP and San Jose campus. The XML app also pushes the video file to your website where the information is stored in an SQL database and the new file is pushed out via your RSS feed.

9. Kewlb

Kewlb New Member

ah subnetting. I will go ahead and tell you that while I can subnet in my sleep explaining subnetting is another matter.

Do you currently use the formula x^2 for your host/network calculations? If you do that is already 90% of the battle.

there was once and probably still is a good online video lecture series on subnetting that does a great job at teaching. It also contains tons of subnetting problems. I would be happy to help you with this further, but I need you to narrow things down to your problem areas instead of just subnetting in general.

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I need more details. And it needs to be automated, I want farts uploaded automatically. And no video. I don't want a cam down my pants. Freak.

11. Kewlb

Kewlb New Member

who said the cam was down your pants? I clearly stated an IP Video phone which means it will just take a video of you WHILE you fart, not a video down your pants. That is unless you can manage to fit the entire phone down your backside. If you can, in fact, fit these down your pants I suggest new, snugger fitting pants.

12. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

Yea...it's been a while since i took the Net+ so i'm basically new to it all over again....any sites you can point me to that will show me the basics, and then i can ask you any further questions....

13. Kewlb

Kewlb New Member

just to appease you:

First we have a PC w/ a USB GPS and a microphone attached. There will be a simple C# program written that will record audio from the microphone. You will press the record button on the program at which point your fart is recorded and the GPS location tagged via the PC. There will be an algorithm used which based on user input such as height, weight, food recently eaten which will figure out the dispersion of said fart.

Once the fart is recorded the program launches the Cisco Secure VPN Client which will form an IPSEC tunnel to the CFS (Central Fart Server). Once the program verifies connectivity via simple pings until the host is alive, it will do an sftp transfer of the video file in question and connect to the sql server to input the data needed. Once the SQL server has the data and the file is uploaded the VPN is disconnected.

The video is then immediately available and published via the asp.net pages on the CFS. People link directly to your rss.aspx file which publishes your rss feed and links to the video file.

not much networking needed for this, only a few simple aspx scripts and and the C# program.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  14. Kewlb

Kewlb New Member

http://www.learntosubnet.com/

15. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

The application requirement is that i have audio only, and that it be totally portable.

Your answers fucking suck.

17. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I'm not carrying a god damned PC with me, and what kind of sick fuck are you that you keep trying to get a video camera down my butt crack? Jesus.

18. Kewlb

Kewlb New Member

I tried to be halfway amusing, oh well.. GTFO of my thread. There are some people who may actually want to ask questions, but instead of posting in this spam filled thread they are sending me tons of PM's instead.

Not that I mind a PM, but a thread can help everyone while a PM only serves one person.

19. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

People post questions in threads. You didn't say anything about no fart questions, and now you have offended me rather than giving me a good answer.

So I'm going to recommend that others make threads to ask questions and to avoid this one.

You're a bad man and you hurt my feelings.

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea definitely a self-serving thread... not good at all.

21. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Does anyone else have a better way to setup my fart tracking system?

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

michael jackson had a system that would have suited your needs, peyomp.... it ran on the power of childrens smiles. Unfortunatly, it has been booked into evidence and was destroyed. The world will never be the same :wtc:

23. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Holy random!

24. Neuman

Neuman New Member

how bout wireless?

got this linksys wrt54gl recently and am having one...small...issue.

setup:
    - living in a 830sq/ft. apartment
    - living just outside of downtown Honolulu, in a high rise, next to several other high rises.
    - two wired pc's
    - two wireless laptops

everything seems to be fully functional inside the apartment. wireless strength never seems to get worse than "very good" throughout, but when i try to use a laptop on the lanai (balcony), everything comes to a halt. i can have my laptop in hand surfing the net, then i walk 5 feet outside, and everything stops.

i've tried having the laptop in direct line of sight of the router at a distance of about 20 feet. inside it works, walking outside it doesn't.

also tried changing the channel the router is broadcasting on to 1, didn't make a difference.

any ideas what's going on here? i am starting to think i am getting interference with something going on outside. been looking into flashing to some open source firmware...but haven't looked into it too much.

thanks for the help.

25. synthetic

synthetic New Member

can you set up ipsec tunnel , not using a tunnel interface, on a loopback interface instead of the interfaces that route out to your next hop? (yes using an ip that is route-able.) this will require me telling the source device to route the traffic dirrect to the loopback, then how does the loopback route out to the target, and vice versa.

i rather put diff client crypto maps on individual loopback interfaces instead of going thru policy by policy on one int.