Networking question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Janson, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Janson

Janson Bill Stickers in innocent. OT Supporter

Ok, I'm setting up a network for my girlfriend and her parents, but I'm having problems setting up the router.

The router is a linksys wireless-G. The 2 computers are older Dell Desktop PC running Windows ME ( :wtc: ) and the other is a Dell 5100 laptop running XP. My problem is trying to install the software that comes w/ the router. It tells me the first step is to have the computer connected directly to the modem. I did that and was able to access the internet. When I tried to go to the next step of the installation it checked the internet connection and kept telling me that it wasn't connected to the internet (which it was). It won't let me go any further in the software installation. I have no idea why the software is not recognizing the connection. I've tried this process on both computers w/ the same results. I've disabled the 56k modem on both comps using the hardware manager.

Any help on why the software is not recognizing the connection or any way around it would be most helpful. (I can plug the modem into the router and connect to the internet if the computer is connected w/ a 10/100 wired network card. Howerver, I cannot connect from the laptop w/ a wirless-G PC card)

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You don't need to install any software.

Once you've got the wired setup, go to your browser and enter this in the address bar:

http://192.168.1.1

Hit enter, and type in admin as the password, leave the username blank

You should be in the setup pages - now go find the option that turns on the wireless features. If you want to add security, you can do so as well in these pages.

3. Janson

Janson Bill Stickers in innocent. OT Supporter

That's all?? Thanks!!! (I'm and an idiot and by comparrison you are a GOD!)

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Well I setup two of them on the road in the last month ;)

I looked at the CD and went, what the fuck do I need this shit for? I think the CD can make things easier, but not needed. By the way, if you turn on the wireless, at the very least change the router password, otherwise you might find yourself locked out of your own router (like I would ever do that... ;))

From there, you should read up on WAP security, but if you don't care about people stealig your bandwidth then don't worry about it.