networking question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sean84, Oct 28, 2003.

1. sean84

sean84 Guest

i'm trying to share my internet connection from my pc to my powerbook using a second nic card in my pc and a crossover cable but i'm getting errors when i try to set up the ICS using the home networking wizard in windows xp. the pc is running windows xp up to date with service packs and my powerbook has osx 10.2.8. when i initially set it up with a patch cable it worked fine for about an hour before the pc stopped talking with the mac and ever since then i've tried numerous things, including using a cat5e crossover cable rather than a patch cable but i now get errors when i try to set up the ics via the wizard. if i do it manually it says it's sharing the connection but the mac isn't able to open anything. there's no problem with the mac, because it works fine when it's plugged directly into the wall, but ideally i'd like to be able to get them both connected at the same time.. any help would be appreciated. thanks.

2. NevaTrustWhitey

NevaTrustWhitey New Member

3. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

...nevermind...

4. Leb_CRX

plugged directly into the wall?? huh??

also by patch cable do you mean a straight through cat5 cable???

also can they ping each other?? even if the MAC is not online??

make sure from the applemenu->system info (I think) then network, make sure it's selected ethernet...and DHCP, also check the IP check if it's a 192, if it is, then the DHCP server (XP machine) in this case is giving it a proper IP, if it's a 169, it's not getting a proper ip...dont bother trying to ping it...

do that shit and let me know what happens

5. rebel

rebel Manchester United > All

If they can ping each other they have Layer 2 Connectivity. If not you might need to invest in a hub. If the pinging each other works, try to share a folder and see if both computers can access it to test layer 7 connectivity. But my best bet would be to buy a hub. BTW a crossover cable won't work, thats only for switch-> switch hub->hub etc.

6. Leb_CRX

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: what? a crossover cable is meant for connecting two NIC cards together, among other things

and how would a HUB remedy anything? it's a stupid layer1 device, would not benefit him .00001%, all it does it flood the packet across all the ports, dosen't even decapsulate them, instead of a hub you might as well connect using a CROSSOVER cable

7. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Yeah fuck layer 1. Without layer one everything would be so much easier.

:fawk:

8. Leb_CRX

9. Leb_CRX

bah, you know what I mean, not as smart as a layer two device or anything :hs: :p :p
    switch > hub

true story

10. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

:bigthumb:

11. Leb_CRX

12. sean84

sean84 Guest

by patch cable i mean a standard cat5e patch cable that you use for connecting a computer to a wall socket or a hub, etc. i have also tried using a crossover cable between the two nics like you mentioned and that does not work.

they can't ping each other i've tried that, and the mac has a self assigned ip address so it makes me think that there is something wrong with the xp pc. i've tried two different nic cards to get the connection sharing to work because when i connect the nic that was connecting the computers to the wall socket i don't get any signal which makes me think that the first nic was bad.. second nic i tried i'm still having no luck..

13. Leb_CRX

oh wait you have a wall socket?? in that case ya it's straight through, I though you were connecting them directly...

flush the TCP/IP stack on the mac, as a last try effort, also check the IP of the XP make sure it's 192.168.0.1, if it's not, then it wont have ICS enabled therefore the Mac will not get a valid IP since teh xp wont be acting as a DHCP server