Networking question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by G_G_L, Oct 28, 2006.

1. G_G_L

G_G_L Vote Nixon

I need some help w/ a network, I don't have alot of expirance w/ networks, and this is a whole new thing for me. I hope you my question will be understandable..
    Ok, so I have a wireless router that my gf's laptop uses to connect to the net. The problem I'm having is figuring out how I can transfer stuff between my desktop and my laptop. I tried setting up the home networks and all that, but I just can't do it.
    Can anyone help me w/ this nonsense?
    Thanks in advance.

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Assuming both computers are running XP with simple file sharing enabled, both are in the same workgroup, both are getting IP addresses in the same network from the router, and neither has a firewall that's blocking local file sharing......

Right click on a folder you want to share, go to sharing and security, and click on the New Share button. When you go to network places on the other machine, it should show that folder. If not, enter \\machinename in the address bar of any Explorer window where machinename is the name of the other computer as shown under My Computer properties, Computer Name tab.

3. G_G_L

G_G_L Vote Nixon

I think I got them in the same workgroup, but this isn't working...I found the whole network thing, where it shows all the computers in the network. The network name is the same on both of em, but neither one has the other on it, just itself. What am I missing? :(

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

There's SOOO many things that can prevent it from working. What OS is running on each machine? Do you have any software firewalls installed? Can you ping eachother?

5. G_G_L

G_G_L Vote Nixon

I don't have any software firewalls, just the microsoft one. how can i see if they can ping each other?
    Maybe instead of trying to figure out whats wrong, you could point me in the direction of a tutorial, or just help me to start fresh or something like that. I'm sorry, but it took me forever to even get the router working.

6. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member