networking question v. VPN

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Euclid, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Euclid

Euclid New Member

I understand that a VPN connection works below the application layer, but I was wondering if there was some way that I could share a connection between VPN-secure communications (like the work I do) and non-secure communications (like goofing off) so that the goofing off isn't routed through the company's VPN.

Is there any way to do this? How about with fast user switching?

2. Euclid

Euclid New Member

One way that comes to mind would be virtualization. Actually it would be nice to have a sanitary virtual work machine running within my personal machine.

Any others?

3. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

I'd imagine that you could accomplish something similar with a QoS / filter set on a well-equipped router, but that's kinda a shot in the dark :dunno:

4. CarRamRod

CarRamRod The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries.

I know in Windows you have a "Metric" per interface. So like you could set your wireless or wired to 1 or 2, then have the virtual VPN adapter set to 3, so that only traffic that can't be resolved on 1&2 gets piped to 3 (Outlook for example, or other apps). I don't know if you can do something like that on OSX though. Actually, I'm pretty sure you can, there just might not be a GUI attached for it.

5. bandwagon

bandwagon Copy/Paste

This is an interesting question. Might find a better answer in 'Computers and Programming'.

6. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:cool: that's the shit. I figure some sort of softrouter (maybe a crazy set of rules for ipfw) could do the same but I'm betting it's DIY on OS X.