Networking problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GM69, Dec 28, 2009.

1. GM69

GM69 OT Supporter

I have a network consisting of a router connected to a modem with a bridge that connects wirelessly that has a whole bunch of computers and a access point wired into it.

The problem I am having is that it appears that my AP is connecting to the bridge wirelessly and when that happens it shuts down the wireless connection back to the router.

Any ideas how to fix this? All devices are running DD-WRT and have static addresses. Only the router is enabled as a DHCP server and most of the computers on the network have static addresses. Once a reboot the AP it starts working again for anywhere between 5 mins to 24 hours.

2. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

What happens if you shut off the AP? Do you still get the shutdown?

Do you have any wired connections that run from the stuff behind bridge down to the router?

You haven't mentioned a switch. To do what you want to do (I have this setup in my house) you have the bridge connect to a switch and everything on the 2nd network behind the switch. What are you using in place of the switch?

3. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I think you are describing a routing loop. Look for things that can connect to the router by two different routes.
    Like... if you have a laptop that you have plugged into the network by lan cable, but you don't have the wireless turned off. Or if the AP has decided to connect wirelessly to the router.

Having said that, it is possible you have a faulty piece of hardware as well.

4. GM69

GM69 OT Supporter

Has been good for the past 36 hours or so. The AP in fact is connecting wirelessly to the bridge that it is also wired into. That is when the network goes down, when it connects. I can't figure out how it decides to connect all of the sudden though.

5. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

This is called a routing loop. It is what I was saying.

You need to tell the router that it can't connect to the AP wirelessly.

On my router this is done through a menu called 'MAC address control' in the wireless section.
    I would input the MAC address of the access point and mark it 'deny'.

If you can find this setting in your routers settings and do this it will fix your loop.

6. GM69

GM69 OT Supporter

Thanks, I have tried that but will try it again, maybe I put the wrong mac in the first time or something.

7. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

It is hard to rule out a hardware problem in a thread like this (just keep that in mind).

But... you described a routing loop.
    FWIW (I think you already know this) you should be able to find the MAC address on the outside case of the AP.