Networking Problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PJThomas, May 25, 2004.

1. PJThomas

PJThomas Member

My neighbor keeps complaining to me that his network isn't working. I set him up with a wireless router. He has a wireless card on 1 PC upstairs and the other is wired to the router. He keeps loosing internet on the wired PC, but the wireless always works. I showed him how to release/renew his IP and told him to try that next time it happened. He said that it wouldn't renew. Any suggestions? Oh, and it worked fine for 2 months and just started screwing up 2 weeks ago. He said he hasn't changed anything on the computer.
    :confused:

2. Stev

Stev Active Member

i dont help my neighbors or anyone i know unless they are immediate family... for this reason.

3. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Check the cable. Does it run through a wall? Mice love some of the jacket materials for some damned reason.

If the cable is ok, try a different port on the router (if it has more than one port). If it is XP, does the network connection show disconnected when the net drops?

4. offtopic

offtopic Guest

Yea try a new cable, or even a different network card if you have an extra laying around

5. PJThomas

PJThomas Member

They're paying me. It's windows xp and it showes the network cable unplugged. The router is on the desk next to the computer and the cables are fine. I'll try another port, if that doesn't work i'll try one of my spare cards.

6. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

if it shows that the cable is unplugged, i would definately try a new cable, because when xp does that, it means you actually lose your link. Try that, AND a different port on the router.