networking pc and mac?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cuttin' wax, Feb 3, 2009.

1. cuttin' wax

cuttin' wax New Member

I feel like ive tried everything. Im running leopard with latest updates and am trying to network my wired xp machine with my wireless mac. can anyone explain how to do this? i have filesharing enabled on both computers. shouldnt there be shared computers or whatever on the sidebar of finder??? i am so confused :sadwavey:

2. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

If the XP truly is sharing, then yes, it should show up. My roommates laptop and xbox both show up on mine.

But you need to make sure you have the username & password if you want to access it. A guest login will only get you as far as the computer allows guests.

You can also use "connect to server" and use afp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where xxx is the ip address. (i think it is afp, it should tell you)

3. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

for connecting to a windows machine:

go menu > connect to server
    smb://server/share

server can be the name or ip address, try each. share name is the name that the folder is shared as (check the sharing properties).

some things to try: try connecting to the wired network - some bad router firmware (even early versions of airport extreme) won't route smb between wired/wireless. if not, test that you ping the windows machine first.

4. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

use smb