Networking on a laptop. No internet. Here's the specifics.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

It's a laptop computer that can't get the internet through a wireless connection. It is in a office setting with many routers around it. It can see numerous networks.

Says the signal strength is good. Here's what we've done.

TCP/IP settings --> detect setting automatically
    ipconfig --> Ip address 192.168.1.120 (I wrote it down but someone rebooted my computer :mad: so it might be a bit different but that's pretty close)
    subnet mask --> 255.255.255.0
    default gateway --> 192.168.0.1

He has chosen the router he wants to connect to in the wireless network settings and other people are able to connect through the same router to the internet.

He is able to view the network with his wireless network but not the internet.

--> Removed anti-virus program from the computer. Completely uninstalled.

--> Disabled Windows firewall.

Tried to ping www.google.com
    --> *(Once again wrote it down but don't have exact error) Something like... Could not connect to host. Check the spelling and try again.

--> pinged IP of google.com --> timed out.

Used the wired connection on the laptop to connect to the network. Could view the internet.

--> tried to repair network connection. --> error: could not repair connection becuase could not release IP.

--> tried to release IP in cmd prompt. Could not release IP because ... Error: No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected.

--> tried to uninstall network adapter. (wireless adapter) error: could not uninstall because device could need to be used on bootup.

I told him that he would probobly need to reset WINSOCK. He said he downloaded some winsock repair tool about a week ago with no results. I took him to dos and reset winsock. Then reset IP stack.

Reboot --> not able to view internet.

Don't know what to do next. Help would be appreciated.

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

MAC Address Filtering (on the router). The MAC filter lists on many (cheaper) routers are limited in size, so maybe an admin removed his MAC to add another.

I'd try connecting to a different network.

192.168.1 and 192.168.0 being different usually isn't good for a small network.

You saying he can "view the network," does that mean he can see it under available wireless networks or that he can see other computers on the network? If he can see other computers can he ping them?

3. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

Is this Bennybenguin's problem? I know he has a thread here and in the main forum.

Did he really try a wired connection? If it worked,... that isolates the problem with the wireless.

4. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

From our chat session. (forgot about that)

Rules that out.

5. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Don't know his Username. He did have a thread in the main forum though. (and one here)

6. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

so did he really try a wired connection?

if he is connected to the network, but no internet,... that usually means a DNS problem or there is some sort of security (firewall, anti-v, etc.) that is preventing him to access the web.

if the wired connection works,... ignore what i've said above,... the problem is the wireless.

7. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Wired works. Wireless doesn't.

8. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

That still could be mac address filtering... ask someone in IT if they do that.

9. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

tell him to boot to safe mode, go to device manager, show hidden devices, uninstall everything related to the wireless adapter, reboot

10. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

The 'IT' department quit. :rofl:

Some updates

He does not have any shared drives so I was mistaken that he could see the Network.

He has 2 routers in his office. One in an spot he doesn't have access too (I think). And one in his office.

The network (router) he's prefers to use he doesn't have the User/Pass of. I doubt the network admin changed the user/pass but I don't know the type of router he's using so I wouldn't know if there was a default user/pass.

The other router is in his office and he has physical access to it. I'm waiting at this point.
    (skip this it only confuses the issue) ;)
    Things I don't know --> If he has reset the routers. I am under the assumption right now that other people are using these routers and are able to access the internet. We've gone over it but I'm not crystal clear on this point. (very big whole if I'm wrong)

What I know about routers is that you have a port on the back that says "internet". In my experience the cable/dsl modem is plugged into this port. Now. He says he has two routers. I don't know if these routers are wired togeather and using the same internet connection or if they both have their own internet connection. For that matter I don't know if you can wire two routers togeather. Never tried.

Also, if anyone knows. Is there a default user/pass for netgear and linksys routers?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  11. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

:wavey:

If it's a company network there are probably filters in place. Talk to IT or try it with a wireless network that you know for sure is open first.

12. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Good idea. We'll try that.

13. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

Sounds like you're trying to fix a problem without know what exactly the problem is.

http://www.phenoelit-us.org/dpl/dpl.html

14. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I think it's a small company without an IT department.

15. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Well I didn't stress the point because he says he usually tries to connect to several different signals and now none of them work. And since then I've found out 2 of the signals are from other companies so you can rule them out. Maybe they enabled wireless security. I really doubt that's the problem since it happened at the same time. I think we're looking at a problem on the computer.

Edit: Thanks for the link. :bookmarked:

16. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

don't waste your time on the router
    as i recall on his thread,... he said that other laptops are working fine, only his doesn't (which btw, was working before).

if this is a router problem, he shoudn't be the only one affected.
    it is most likely that the problem is at his end.

again,... let him uninstall/reinstall the wireless adapter and go from there

17. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Yea, was kinda second guessing myself. His wireless setup I've found out is encrypted. Not that that's any big deal.

Doing the safe mode option now.

18. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

That fixed it. :cool:

19. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

tell him he owes us a beer :bigthumb:

20. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

He's buying me a sub. But since your the one who came up with the fix I'll gladly recommend him buying you the sub instead of me. :bigthumb:

"To the victors goes the spoils".

edit: Your OG Nevermind! :squint: :rofl:

21. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

nah, you keep the sub
    you owe me a beer :squint: :rofl:

22. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I'll keep that in mind. :hahano: