Networking issues....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MobileSuit, Mar 30, 2005.

1. MobileSuit

MobileSuit New Member

So I have my two machines:

Gateway Laptop running XP Home
    Homebuilt running XP Pro

and I'm trying to network them using a Linksys wireless router. But I have them both plugged in.

When I first plugged them in I think I ran the network wizard on both of them and they could see each other just fine and I could move files between them. Then I started messing with encripting the wireless on the router and now I can see each computer from the other but when I try to access it, it says "\\Dkm is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found."

I've heard Pro and Home have trouble networking with each other, but why did they do it before?

Any idears?

2. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

Did you plug one into the WAN port?

3. MobileSuit

MobileSuit New Member

They're plugged into ports 1 and 2 with my school resnet (internet) connection in WAN.... should the resnet plug be in uplink?

4. 3z33

3z33 Guest

1- you have link lights in all three ports (gateway, homebuilt, uplink to resnet)?
    2- If so, then you need to ensure you are getting an IP address. Reboot both boxes and then do START>RUN and type "commmand", hit enter. At the command prompt, type "ipconfig /release" and hit enter. If it comes up 0.0.0.0, then type "ipconfig /renew" you should get an IP address (and if it starts with 169, you have a problem, otherwise you are cool)
    3- once both systems have IP addresses, try your connection again. IF you still have a problem, try sharing something and connecting to that or connect to a default share like \\dkm\c$

5. 3z33

3z33 Guest

can you get on the internet? If so, PM me and you can send me a request for remote assistance and I will do what I can to hook it up. The pro/home thing is no big deal.

6. MobileSuit

MobileSuit New Member

PM sent