networking help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by misha720, Apr 7, 2008.

1. misha720

misha720 New Member

somebody please help. im completely stupid when it comes to networking computers. i bought my daughter an emachine with windows xp. she had an old used one but it finally died.

i have a router connected to the main computer from before and i have a wireless adapter connected to her computer. it seems to be installed correctly but i cant get an internet connection.

what am i doing wrong?

2. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

not to sound like an ass, but im gonna ask for some pretty 'oh shit' things as those are the typical solutions

from what your saying, you have a router with a WIRED connection to one system, and are attempting to use a wireless NIC on your new PC to get it to share the internet connection.

is your router a wireless router? if so, the problem would most likely be a configuration issue on either the router or the PC. So, is the router broadcasting its SSID? If so, when the PC scans for access points, can it see it? (if SSID is turned off it might be a wise first step to broadcast until your certain the connection is configured correctly)

If your PC can see the SSID, and still cannot connect then it is most likely a router configuration issue and you will need to give further details about how the wireless side is configured. If the SSID is broadcasting but you cannot see it with the PC, then the issue is most likely on the PC, and again you will need to give a bit more info

3. misha720

misha720 New Member

oh jesus im doomed.

im lost. i have a belkin54g router that is connected to my comcast modem.
    i have a linksys wireless g adapter connected to her computer.

im sure the configuration is fucked up because i dont have a clue how to do that.

my signal strength is excellent.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  4. misha720

misha720 New Member

windows could not connect to this network

there might be interference between this computer and the network acess points or the network is refusing access to this computer

5. misha720

misha720 New Member

IP routing enabled....no
    WINS proxy enabled.....no

media state..........media disconnected

6. misha720

misha720 New Member

ok im not sure what i done but the internet is working now.

i still have one question.

how do i configure it to be secured? so no one else can use my connection.

7. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

not sure about the belkin, but on a standard linksys, you can go to 192.168.1.1 and there is a login page (maybe not) look in your manual or online for your models default username and password and login, on the linksys models this is a very east HTML based user interface where you can configure everything about the router. Let me know it that helps.