Networking help please! =)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GuOD, Sep 18, 2005.

1. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

I have the following setup:

modem -- router -- desktop (wired) AND wireless usb adapter-- wireless nic laptop

Problem:

Want to setup a peer to peer wireless between desktop/laptop.

have both nic in ad-hoc mode, both have same SSID with encryption disabled, static ip/DNS config'd, both say "connected" at 11mbps, BUT i cannot access either computer from the other.

Any help with either setup is GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 18, 2005
  2. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

When you say access, are trying to access admin shares? Can both computers see the Internet? What OS are you using on each one?

3. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

Xp Pro on both computers. Both computers have folders shared (which can both be accessed with wired connection). Desktop has 2 wired nic and 1 wireless nic in a bridge and 1 wired nic hooked into router w/ internet.

The desktop can see internet because it's wired to router. The laptop can see internet when WIRED to desktop, but wireless nic connection will not see internet.

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Right click on the wired ethernet connection on the desktop and choosing sharing. Go through the options there. Let windows set the 192.168.x.x adderss on your other wireless nic. set the wireless nic on the laptop to dhcp, because when you use internet connectin sharing on windows in runs a dhcp server for you.

5. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

Thanks, will try that now. I believe originally someone advised me against using ICS but maybe that only works for wired connections.

Well, I've tried enabling ICS on my LAN nic but it gives me an error:
    A Lan connection is already configured with the IP address that is required for automatic IP addressing.

I also wasn't as worried about ICS for the moment, I really just wanted to create a direct connection between the two computers wirelessly for file transfers. I assumed after i had them connected I could just bridge with the LAN nic.

6. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

Your router is probably using 192.168.0.1. That's the IP address Windows uses for the network adapter when you enable ICS.

But reading your prior explanation I gather you have 4 NIC's in the desktop? :confused: I assume the laptop is using wireless direct to the router... or to the desktop? That is a hella confusing setup you got going.

7. bobbyseatbelt

bobbyseatbelt New Member

maybe your trying to use the same subnet for the wireless segment? try this:

|router|192.168.0.1---192.168.0.2|desktop|192.168.1.1---192.168.1.2|latop|

you should then be able to ping 192.168.1.1 from the laptop. keep in mind that this will only work if your doing peer-to-peer. if you wanted to bridge the wired nic and the wireless nic on your desktop you should keep everything on the same subnet.

if you were using the same subnet for the wireless segment (w/o enabling the bridge) it could cause a routing problem on the desktop and this maybe what is keeping you from communicating correctly (especially if the wired nic on the desktop had a lower metric (weight)).

bleh.. hope that made sense