Networking Guru's, need your help badly

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Turbo240sx, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Turbo240sx

Turbo240sx Still Spoolin'

this is my problem: im connected to my college campus' network and constantly, as in every single day, i have the problem that my internet connection will stop working after a while of being connected. the problem is that while im browsing the net, the connection will just suddenly stop, usually after 15-20 minutes of surfing, and the only way to fix it is to restart the entire computer. most of the time my instant messaging programs will stay connected and work, but all internet browsers, firefox, opera and IE will not connect. its very puzzling, however i think its a software problem on my computer, not on the servers.

im running windows xp pro on a P4 1.8gz with 512mb ram on a Linksys NC100 network card. Ive tried upgrading network card drivers but Linksys doesnt seem to have any new drivers available. i did do the SP2 upgrade before i heard from OTers that it wasnt a good idea. so i think that could partially be the problem. but this is very frustrating because its so annoying and i dont like to have to restart the computer all the time to get my internet connection, but that seems to be the ONLY way to get my connection back.

so i really need some help here, does anyone know if this is a possible software problem, or do i just have a crappy network card? are there any sites that might have software or guides to fix this problem? im quite proficient with computers but i can not figure this thing out at all. if anyone can help me out, i would be very grateful

2. mace

mace i don't read

Do any other people near you have this problem? If the instant messaging programs are still connected, can you message anyone while you can't connect to websites at the same time? Sounds like a wiring problem or something. I'd contact the network administrator in your school. It doesn't sound like a software problem on your computer to me.

In windows xp you can repair the connection if it stops working. Just open the network places properties and go to the connection you are using, then click repair on the support tab.

3. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Next time it stops working, go to a DOS prompt and try to ping an IP (129.250.35.250 should work). Also try to ping a URL (yahoo.com).

4. SEPHROTH64

SEPHROTH64 Guest

if repair decides not to work (my laptop has a habbit of doing this)
    start>run>cmd

ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

another thing you can try it uninstalling all your network adapters, reboot, and then reinstall them