Networking Gods...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by monkeybutt, Apr 7, 2004.

1. monkeybutt

monkeybutt NOT full of shit...

I'm doing an assignment for my networking class and part of it has me setting up a mock wireless network for a building. I've chosen 802.11g as the standard...but I'm not sure exactly what type of equipment I'm going to need. I'm talking about switches, hubs and routers...obviously, I know I need several routers placed around the building, but I'm not sure about switches and hubs. Is there a standard (Cisco, HP, Dell) commercial switch/hub that I should consider using as a foundation for this wireless network?

All help is greatly appreciated. :)

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Do the wireless access points HAVE to be connected to each other wirelessly? Cuz that would suck ass. I'd never connect routers and switches wirelessly.

3. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

4. Glennhuricane

Glennhuricane New Member

5. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

We have 750 thousand square feet covered with wireless. The building is 1/3 mile from one end to the other.

We supply 400-500 PC’s and another 50-60 Macs. We also have a couple dozen servers doing web, file, print, email, and so on. Including 2 servers that record video from 16 cameras and a asset storage server with 11 terabytes of storage. (I am not positive on the disk space we have had issues with it lately and have been moving arrays around)

2 Cisco 6500 main switches connected with four gig fiber lines (There is 24 fibers but I think only 4 are lit). All of the servers are connected to these.

Off from one 6500 has six Cisco 4500's and the other 6500 has two with dual gig fiber to each (4 to 6 run to each). This supplies the bandwidth workstations many with copper gig lines and the access points including their power.

Most of the 4500's can be supplied from either 6500 and it’s possible to have completely different paths to the 6500's. (Basically if the main fiber lines were damaged the traffic can be routed through the 4500's which keeps both computer rooms online.)

Approximately 35 Cisco 350 series wireless access points setup for roaming. Every where in the building and several of the outdoor areas are covered. Several of the areas have redundant wireless...

I was told that we have somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 miles worth of copper lines. And we run about a third of the machines with wireless.

Internet access comes through redundant Cisco 1760 routers for multiple T1's with Watchguard Firebox firewalls.

And on a side note we also have 9 other locations that have VPN's into our system.... 600 to 650 devices online at any given time.

Let me know if you want more detail...

6. Balzz

Balzz N54 Elitist OT Supporter

Your network is just begging for voice now. :naughty:

7. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Keyzs: Who do you work for? I don't know of anything that big in Charlotte. :o

8. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

I work in Lansing, out by the airport.

9. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

That is the plan but upper management decided to stick with the legacy phone system for a couple more years.

10. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

You guys doing any hiring for summer help in IT? :naughty:

11. Balzz

Balzz N54 Elitist OT Supporter

Just say no to TDM!

12. astriom

astriom Guest

Wireless access devices connecting to other networking devices wirelessly is just asking for trouble... I would go with a wired network (for higher bandwith) as a backbone network with several wireless access devices throughout. I would stick with one network address and one subnet if possible and use only switches. Cisco makes an excelent product, but barring them, there are other companies that make good products. Check out the CDW website, they sell a lot of these types of items. To save money, you could just add the wireless devices to the existing infrastructure and be fine. An old network of 10mbps won't be a noticable bandwidth change to make a much of a difference to the users, if thats whats already there.

13. mr_belvedere

mr_belvedere Guest

if you get assigned a project why don't you actually take the effort and look some stuff up by yourself

14. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

If you use the search button to look for something specific, why don't you actually take the effort and look at how old the thread is you are about to bump for no reason?

15. col_panic

unnecessary bump is bannable on some boards. not here that i know of, but it is bad form to bump after so long to criticize someone

16. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Damn this bump....I thought Keyzs was going to offer me a job.....oh wait......:big grin:

17. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Umm... Still trying to figure out what the requirements are! Especially with the news last week that our Novell servers are going away - FINALLY!

18. col_panic

you say that like it's a good thing :wtc:

19. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

When its changing from Netware 4.11 any change is a good thing.

Current plans are SUSE, so we are not straying far...

20. col_panic

ooh! well that i wouldn't mind, but dumping nds for ds and zenworks for sms is going to fuck up my day.

21. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

NDS to DS???

I get the Zenworks to Systems Management Server (Unless you talking about Smart Messaging System but that is not all that common here in the states..)

But what are you talking about with DS?? Wouldn't the MS equivalent be AD? (MS and equivalent in the same sentence??) Oh isn't it eDirectory instead of NDS now?

My next target is the W2k server that the arrays hang off and controls the backup drives... One step at a time!

22. col_panic

:uh: i meant AD

you see how painful this is going to be for me :hs:

oh and yes it is eDirectory now, but we are still on 4.11 (which is a good thing, dammit!)

23. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

We were just working on putting eDir on a Suse box the other day. :cool:

We got the whole thing up, created a temp tree, added our server, but the tree never shows up to the client. :mad: We still have some work to do.

We are doing all this so we can create a test environment for groupwise 6.5. We are still on 5.5 and need to know how easy this transition it going to go.

24. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

:wavey: Lemme know how things pan out.

With squid we should be able to authenticate against almost anything....except stuff with homemade excryption that is. :big grin: