Networking/DNS question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Stev, May 20, 2004.

1. Stev

Stev Active Member

i know it can be done but im not sure how. I have my own domain name, and my own DNS server, and 2 other servers doing useless things basicly. But i want to be able to RDP in to any of them. now here are the issues...

-my college only has a few select ports unblocked so i need to have them all respond on the same port.

-i want them to have their own subdomain names (server2.mydomain.com, server3.mydomain.com ect)

i know it can be done ive seen it. Im sure it has to do with DNS but i havent been able to figure it out so far. ive tried messing with pointer records but it doesnt seem to do the trick. My internet is shared through an oldschool Netgear router if that makes a diff, i have all ports fowarded to my DNS server. If anything i figured that would be my problem but i would like some input if there is any, thx.

2. Exile

Exile Guest

I don't think DNS is the answer, DNS does not identify ports to connect to, only the IP address. Some web servers (Like Apache) can respond on different ports and forward the query to other servers or web pages.

If you have a configurable firewall you can just use the same DNS name and forward the specific ports to your other machines. For example port 100 goes to the main server, port 101 goes to the second server or something like that.

A possible solution would be to use SSH. Whatever server has the DNS record pointing to it you can connect to with an SSH client (like putty) and through there you can set up port forwarding as you see fit. The port is only forwarded during the SSH session, so once you close it the port is gone.

3. Stev

Stev Active Member

like i said i dont want to use multiple ports, thats why i want to use DNS to be on the same port but to access the different machines by their domain names(server2.mydomain.com, server3.mydomain.com ect)

4. Ximian

Ximian New Member

DNS does not have anything to do with routing requests to certain ports although you should look into this program named "pen" as it might work for what you want.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I would think that your Domain Name entry with your domain name hosting company (ie Network Solutions) would have to have your personal DNS as the designated name server for your domain for starters.

What OS are you running as the DNS server?

6. Stev

Stev Active Member

Server2003

7. Stev

Stev Active Member

other servers are 2kserver FYI...

8. Exile

Exile Guest

I still don't think you will be able to do what you want using just DNS, it does not provide any port or routing information. All you will ever get is the ipaddress that is assigned to the domain name. So all you wil be able to reach is the macine with that IP

9. Stev

Stev Active Member

oh well, thanx anyways guys.