Networking causing high cpu usage?!?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Resoslip, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Resoslip

Resoslip Guest

I've got Windows 2000 Server installed on one of my machines. It's a recent install and only has necessary stuff on it. IIS, mDaemon, and NAV 7.0.

Recently the "System Idle Process" has been taking up between 50 and 90% of the CPU Usage when I don't think it should be!

I ran hijack this on it and everything looks like its ok.

If I physically unplug the network cable from the computer then it goes back to normal. I'm behind a linksys router/firewall and a cable modem connection. I have the necessary ports forwarded to it for WWW and mail but even if I unforward all ports it still has high usage.

If I disable the network connection I get the same as unplugging the cable.

The NIC is a Linksys EtherPCI Lan Card II and the light on the back is constantly flashing.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. not familiar with hijack ... do you run AV on a regular/fulltime basis? do you update your definitions regularly? might want to upgrade to a more recent AV ... unless that's 7.0 corp you're talking about? try booting to safe mode and running a full system scan.

also try running an adware/spyware program. and grab linklogger from www.linklogger.com and use it to check out SNMP feeding off your Linksys, see where all the traffic's going. check your weblogs, chances are high that you have a NIMDA or Code Red derivant type infection, even with Nav ...

3. Resoslip

Resoslip Guest

Yup, it's Nav 7.0 Corp. Virus def's were from Dec 3,2003. Updated them again right now. I swapped a DFE530TX+ and got the same thing. I've got the BEFSR81 and downloaded the linklogger for "all other" linksys routers but doesn't seem to do anything. I'll try scanning in safe mode and see what I get.

4. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

The CPU usage shown under System Idle Process is basically all of the CPU speed that's not being used.

Meaning a reading of System Idle Process|85% means that everything you have running combined is using 15% of the max CPU speed.

5. MP

MP New Member

system idle is supposed to take up your cpu %. Think of it as a screen saver for you cpu. If you're system idle is at 90% then only 10% is being used by other applications.

6. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

theifery!!!!11

it's stealing my megahurtz :squint:

7. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

noooo its my clock cycles, not yours!!! bastards :squint:

8. MP

MP New Member

do0rks