Networking bullshit

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kpac0, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Kpac0

Kpac0 Guest

hey guys, iv gotta network with 2 computers, and an xbox. My older computer is connected to the modem, and the newer computer and xbox are off the router. lately the newer computer can connect to the internet about 5% of the time... the older computer is about 85%. wtf? Road runner has been here 5 times fucking with the modem, gave us a new one, blah blah. does this sound like a problem with the router????

Need Help!!!:sadwavey:

2. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Ok why/how is the router connected to the modem along with one computer? What type and version of router?

3. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering, too. Does this modem have both USB and RJ-45 and you've got a cable running to each from the old PC and the router? If so, did Roadrunner notice this and slap you?

4. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

i am seeing this as your network

modem -> pc -> router -> xbox, and PC is this correct?

modem -> router -> pc, pc, and xbox this would probably be a better option

describe the problem more!

5. Kpac0

Kpac0 Guest

no no no.. im sorry i suck at describing this shit..

the router connects all the network with rj45 cables.

when i said the modem is directly connected to the older cpu i mis-spoke...the modem is just right next too/on the older cpu desk so i mis-spoke.

THE NETWORK IS SET UP CORRECTLY!!!

router= Linksys Etherfast cable/DSL router (instant broadband series) model BEFSR41
    modem=motorola (black) surfboard cable modem model SB5100

6. Kpac0

Kpac0 Guest

computer sucks bump

7. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

Make sure you've got the latest firmware from Linksys. I have the same router and had issues before I updated the firmware. But, I also had issues of the router giving me the "red light" (for diagnosis, I think), but it hasn't happened since my wife's cousin took her PC off my network. It's working great now.

8. Kpac0

Kpac0 Guest

firm ware. ok.... il chcek it out.. there have been no visible problems with the router, but it just started acting up, so maybe its a update i need or something. can u d/l firm ware?

9. Kpac0

Kpac0 Guest

HOW DO I FIND OUT WHAT MY ROUTERS IP IS?

when i go to do the firware update it says unable to find host or something like that.

i just typed in the defualt ip. 192.whatevr.1.1

10. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Goto a command prompt and type IPCONFIG, the router should be your Default Gateway...

11. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

Look at your manual that came packaged with it. Also, just point your browser to 192.168.1.1 and read what's on the router dashboard.

12. Kpac0

Kpac0 Guest

unable to get responce from the server..

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

I'd recommend calling Linksys.

14. Kpac0

Kpac0 Guest

well idk if the problem is with the router... i was just suggesting maybe it was. FUCK ROAD RUNNER!!!!!!! arg.

15. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

Well, they'll help you narrow down the issue. If they can rule out the router, then you're more likely to find your problem.

16. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

1. When your asking for the IP address of the router are you talking internal(LAN) or external(WAN) side?

- LAN side should be the DEFAULT GATEWAY of the machines (also make sure they are the same). While your at it you need to make sure all the machines are on the same network. The LAN addresses should all be 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x (another possibility but rare and I cannot remember it off the top of my head).

- WAN goto www.IPCHICKEN.com or any other site that lists your IP address.

2. You say that ONE or more computer cannot access the internet WHEN the others cannot?

- If yes then its not the modem or internet access (and thats pretty much set in stone)

3. Calling Linksys is a REALLY BAD idea unless you KNOW its their problem. They will just give you a run around...

4. Pull the router out of line and try each of the machines on their own. Do you get the same issues with just one machine?

- Just DO IT, your going to spend WAY too much time trying to figure it out if you don't.

- Does the problem go away? If so its your LAN - router, cables, cards, machines, settings...

- If it doesn't, then call the providor and tell them to fix it.

5. If the problem is LAN, check the network settings on ALL the machines to see if the problem continues (I really would pull the XBOX out of line until you figure out the problem).

- All should be DHCP or NOT do not mix unless you have a really pressing reason and know enough about networking to do it (HINT - if you did you would not be asking the questions you are asking)

- Make sure the cables are good quality (not sure how you would do that...)

- Applications on any one of the machines could be causing a problem with the others. A virus, or worm could be messing things up...

If you have gone through that and it still does not work, copy and past the IPCONFIG /ALL from the two PC's here so we can have a better idea of what your network looks like.

17. Kpac0

Kpac0 Guest

i did take a year of networking classes at skool, with basic configuring shit, but we didnt do alot with routers. i thought it was a problem with the router, but i dont know.

i went to the newer computer and plugged the cable directly into the back, and the internet still didnt work. what does this indicate

18. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Oh yea, you will probably need to reset the router and modem any time you change the topography of your network... (Unfortunately what you have done does not indicate a lot unless you reset the modem..)