Network ?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by theonlytime, Apr 9, 2004.

1. theonlytime

theonlytime New Member

regarding the rules of this forum i am not sure if this is illegal, i am sorry if it is,i am not doing anything sinister. i am trying to access a computer on my home network. the home network is connected throught a router and are all running win xp home. i am trying to see if there is a program to use to access each others file and share printers (not a big deal if i cant) while file sharing is disabled and the firewall is up on all the computers

Last edited: Apr 9, 2004
  2. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Its called FTP.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

You can also use a remote control program like PC Anywhere or a service like GoToMyPC.com

4. theonlytime

theonlytime New Member

is there anything that i can run on only 1 computer that accesses the entire network system, something that doesnt require installing anything on the other computers

5. astriom

astriom Guest

If both PCs are behind a router with a firewall built in, file sharing should be safe. Unless you go into the router to open up ports into your network..........
    There is nothing that I've ever heard of that will allow access to other PCs without installing software on all PCs in question.
    If it's a question of whether or not you want a shared file *visible* on the network, you can add a "$" to the end of the name of the file. But then you'd have to mount the shared files as a virtual drive on each machine that needs access to it.
    Or you could set read only and read/write passwords to them...