Network Sharing

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I am sharing a drive on a computer that has several people that log into it. I share the documents and settings directory and I can copy from the directory but cannot copy too the directory. On one of the folders I cannot copy too or from the directory. In both instances it says I don't have permission.

If sharing is enabled and the check box to allow others to change files on this folder is checked then what's going on here? I thought this was a pretty straightforward thing. I've checked the anti-virus (mcafee) and everything looks fine.

On the same computer is another HD. I have that shared and it works perfectly.

I've gone through the help files and MS webpage. Done everything they said to do. Still get error.

I'm on xp pro other computer is media edition.

2. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

what filesystem are you using? if you are using NTFS, you may also need to grant permissions on the files/directories to the users that are coming in.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ya, NTFS ACL prob.

4. awns729

awns729 New Member

is it read only or something like that?

5. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I was thinking along these lines. Just for kicks I enabled guest login but that wasn't any help. Don't know where I would give allowances to who accessed the computer over the network.

Read only is checked and greyed out.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I think you misse the point - for each share there are permissions to access the share. But you also need permissions for the data itself. In other words, there's two sets of permissions that have to be true in order for you to write to data on a share. Now personally, I simply assign everyone r/w access to a share and leave it alone. I then lock the data down using NTFS permissions.

7. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Ok, figured it out. I'm so sad that you all didn't tell me to uncheck 'use simple file sharing' (in 'windows explorer/file/folder options/view/ 'use simple file sharing' ) To access NTFS permissions. Thought you guys were all super-smart IT wizards. :squint: (probably just too lazy to write it all out.) :nono:

I was confused when told to use NTFS permissions. Like I said, I was checking a BOX that said 'share this folder' in folder properties/sharing. That should have been your first clue. That aside, after searching the net, I found how to share using NTFS permissions. :hsd:

Considering I play around on my neighbors, families, and friends boxes when they come up against something they can't do. And granted I usually have to research the problem on the net to find the fix and even then I often have to ask for guidance from people online. I gotta admit I really am an idiot around these things. :doh: Hope they don't find out how inept I really am.

Appreciate the help as always.

8. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

disabling simple file sharing should be done when turning on a computer for the first time.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Both my home and work computers are on a domain so it doesn't even enter my mind to turn off simple file sharing.