Network Set Up ?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deadW8, Mar 22, 2004.

1. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

I'm trying to help a friend set up a network between a desktop and notebook computer.

Both systems are Windows XP Home and he has Earthlink DSL. He has a Netgear WT624 Router, the desktop has a pre-installed NIC card and the notebook has a Netgear WG511 Wireless PC card. The PC card & router both seem to be working fine.

However, I couldn't get the network to install properly and I know I must've messed up somewhere several times.

Could someone just walk me through the whole set up? (Since he has a dsl router I assume he does not need ICS, right?)

Starting from 'Start'/'Control Panel'/'Network Connections' --> Now what do I do (so I set everything up properly this time)?

(I'm so :o, thanks for helping me out with another stoopid question.)

2. Ximian

Ximian New Member

Set to router as a DHCP server and make the computers get a lease from it. In Network Connections / LAN Properties, select TCP/IP and Properties then obtain IP address automatically.

Also in Network Connections, start the Network Setup Wizard (set up a home...) and select Other and "This computer connects to the Internet directly or through a network hub..."

That should work fine.

3. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

Ximian: I've done all that and it wouldn't work yesterday...The desktop would show both computer on the network group yet I couldn't access the notebook's files from the desktop. It'd open up a dialog box that would say I didn't have permission to access this workgroup (or something to that effect).

The notebook wouldn't show any systems including itself on the network and it also said that I didn't have permission to access the workgroup and I needed to check with the administrator when I tried to search for computers on the network.

I've set up both systems through the administrator's profile so I don't understand why I'm having problems with access/permissions.

4. Ximian

Ximian New Member

Install NetBIOS and disable the XP firewall.

5. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

Ok, but uh, what's NetBIOS and where do I download/install it from? :o

6. Ximian

Ximian New Member

Go into Network Connections and Properties for LAN Connection and click on Install - Protocol - IPX/SPX/NetBIOS on both computers.

7. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

Ximian: Thanks a lot for the help. I won't get a chance to set this up for my friend until 2 weeks after today. But if I still can't get it to work, I'll PM you if that's ok.

:bigthumb:

8. Ximian

Ximian New Member