Network Security Questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VIOLATION, Jan 8, 2003.

1. VIOLATION

VIOLATION west coast > east coast

Ok, here's my set up. 2 computer home network, both runnin WinXP. Connected by a Linksys router, which is connected to a cable modem.

I believe (but am not sure) the router has a buit in firewall. Is this true?

If not, should I be looking to get a personal firewall?

thanks fellas. :)

2. Kabuko

Kabuko Guest

I think all Linksys routers come with a firewall built-in, certainly all the ones I've worked with (and definitely all newer ones).

3. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Yes, the Linksys has a small, somewhat effective builtin firewall.

I would suggest enabling WinXP's personal firewall option, and also installing a personal firewall software, like ZoneAlarm, Norton, Blackice, etc etc. for that added support.

4. Kabuko

Kabuko Guest

I wouldn't. Too many firewalls gets messy. If you think the Linksys is not enough, get ZoneAlarm and don't use XP's. The only benefit of the 2nd firewall is probably outgoing traffic.

5. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

now thats wierd, we have the same exact setup(2 computer home network with winxp, using the linksys wireless router and a cable modem) and just to let you know, the linksys(one of the best routers IMO) does have a builtin and effective firewall. linksys gets a big :bigthumb: from me.