Network Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PJThomas, Apr 15, 2004.

1. PJThomas

PJThomas Member

I have a 802.11g router w/ 2 win xp pro systems hardwired to it. They both have the same admin account and password. They are currently sharing a USB printer that's connected to system 1. My mom just got a new laptop w/ a built-in wireless card and can't connect to the printer for some reason unless I enter the password for system 1. I created a new account for her on my computer with rights to print only and that didn't work. How do I fix this? :confused:

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Is she logging in to her laptop with a password or does it just login automatically? If she doesn't have a password on her laptop and you created an account on your machine with a blank password, there's a security option that could explain it. Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Local Security Settings. Under Local Policies, Security Options, there's a policy titled "Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only" which is enabled by default. The result is that network clients with a null password get the cold shoulder from your XP Pro box.

3. PJThomas

PJThomas Member

Thanks, that fixed it.