Network problem, probably simple for someone who knows their stuff

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Oscar, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Oscar

Oscar Guest

I've got a cable connection going in to a linksys router, with a laptop wired to the router and a Mac picking up the wireless signal.

They both work fine, as long as they're not being used simultaneously. As soon as my roommate and I are both trying to use the net, the connection drops and I have to power-cycle the modem to get it to come back.

Is there a router setting that needs to be adjusted so that it can do both wired and wireless at the same time?

thanks alot, this is driving me crazy.

2. k2737

k2737 Active Member

No they should work fine at the same time. Are they getting the same IP address or something?

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Probably a dying router if there isn't an IP address conflict. Are both computer set to obtain their IP address automatically? Try holding the reset button in for 20 seconds. That'll reset everything to factory defaults. You'll need to resecure the wireless after that but its worth a shot before you buy a new one.

4. Oscar

Oscar Guest

Nope. I'm stumped here.

5. Oscar

Oscar Guest

Annd now it's working. Man you've gotta love the unpredictable nature of wireless networks. Maybe it's just me but everytime I've tried to network something I get these bullshit unexplained problems. Thanks for your suggestions anyway guys. hopefully this thing will keep doing what it's supposed to.

6. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I read an article where someone's wireless phone was interfering with his wireless router connection. He bought a new 5.4 GHz phone and it solved his problem. Do you live in an apartment where other wireless devices might interfere??