Network problem; connection dies after 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Moloko, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Moloko

Moloko New Member

I got my computer back and running thanks to some new ram. Now I have a new problem. As soon as the computer starts, I have net as usual, but only for about 30 seconds. After the 30 seconds I can make no new connections. What is wierd is that AIM will stay open, and I can have conversations on that no problem. Basicly any connections made within 30 seconds of windows starting will stay open, but after that I basicly have no net. Restarting it will fix it. Windows shows an active network connection, and it says nothing is wrong with it. It did this with the old mainboard and the new one, both of which had onboard lan cards. I reformatted and reinstalled windows again last night and it didnt help. It works for the first few restards of configuring windows, but after that it goes back to its 30 second limit.

Here are my specs;

Athlon 3200+ XP
    Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe mainboard
    1 gig (two sticks) crucial 400fsb ram
    Nvidia Gf4 MX5200 vid card
    Creative Audigy2 ZS platnum
    Two Seagate 80gig SATA drives
    ATI TV Card

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

What are your network specs??

If you reformatted and still have the same problem, it may be in the network hardware/

3. 2demon5

2demon5 New Member

Are you running the most current detonator drivers, and have you tried to use the gigabit card instead?

Try disabling the 10/100 in the net connect manager, and use the gigabit card and see if that helps?

4. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

What do you mean when you say "no new connections?" I find a lot of people equate getting to a website with having net connectivity. That's not exactly true. Forgive me if your computer skills make this a moot point.

5. Moloko

Moloko New Member

Its not just websites. NOTHING concerning the internet will load after 30 seconds. Cant get email, cant log onto AIM if im not already logged on, cant do anything. It doesnt even try to connect in IE, as soon as you open the window it instantly goes to a DNS error screen. I can refresh the connection and nothing helps. Both devices, the 100 and the gigbit have the same results, i've even bridged them and had both going. Its not the port in the wall because I've gone on my roommates computer and his net works fine, and even used his port from across the room. Same result. The network is a school network; thats all I know.

6. Moloko

Moloko New Member

bump for help