Network printing with x64 Vista/x86 XP?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Cicatrize, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Cicatrize

Cicatrize $user_title

I have a printer hooked up to my x64 Vista Machine, and I need to wirelessly print from my gf's x86 XP laptop, but I've been having serious trouble figuring how the fuck I'm supposed to do this. The XP machine finds the printer on the network, but when it tries to "install" the drivers, it won't let me, because it's not compatible. Is there any way to print on a 64-bit Vista machine from a 32-bit XP machine?

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

Download (from the manufacturer's website) and install the 32bit drivers on her machine. Then hook up to the printer share. It should recognize that you already have drivers installed, rather than trying to install the 64bit version from your machine.

3. Cicatrize

Cicatrize $user_title

I have already installed the 32 bit drivers on her machine. It actually prints fine when I boot XP on my main machine.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I stumbled onto this trick awhile ago with W2K3 32 and 64 bit editions. You install the 32 bit drivers while vieing the properties of the printer from the 32 bit machine. In other words, you remotely load the drivers onto the server.

5. Cicatrize

Cicatrize $user_title

What do you mean by "viewing the properties"? The setup won't even let me add the network printer onto the x86 machine.

6. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

install the 32 bit drivers on the xp machine. tell it the machine is hooked up via a paralell cable and not to print a test page. let drivers load.

when the printer is installed. right click the printer and go to properties. The driver box will pop up. go to the third tab ( on most printers) called ports.

Put a check box in the one that is something like \\yourcomputername\yourprintername\que.

click aply. let driver refresh for a second.

Go to the general tab. click on the test print button.

Go and get print out from the printer.

erase all the other printers you installed in the process of playing with it.