Network Printer servers? What should I get.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by eddefy, Feb 14, 2009.

1. eddefy

eddefy New Member

We have like 4 computers to the house and like one printer, and I don't want to run to my computer with a flash drive, start up the computer, then start up Word and print every time.

I want something easy to use and easy to install and fool proof and i have no prior experience with something like this.

I was wondering if this is a good buy http://www.gearxs.com/gearxs/product_info.php?products_id=4909

tell me somethings I should look out for. thanks. :bigthumb:

2. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I've never used a Netgear one but they are all basically the same. Lpt out, network in, simple http interface to configure them. The HP ones we run at work are $$$.

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Do you have a wireless network? If so, look for a wireless printer.

I just picked up a Lexmark wireless printer, scanner, copy machine and fax...all in one for a little over $100 at Walmart. It's up and running and I just printed wirelessly from my laptop.

Don't know what your budget is but if your due for a printer upgrade, there are some great deals out there. Mine will prolly crap out in 6 months but for now, I'm happy with it.

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever buy a non-network printer in the first place. They are all shit. Get an ethernet or wifi printer.

5. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i have a printer connected to one of my computers, i just use printer sharing. :dunno:

6. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

didn't you just hear peyomp?? It's shit. :rofl:

7. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

Only buy printers using PCL.

Cuts 90% of anything you buy at retailers out of the possibilities.

8. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

What kind of printer are we talking about? I have read that not all printers can work on a print server. I think it applies more to USB ones than parallel ones.

I have a Linksys USB print server and an older HP Jetdirect parallel port print server. Both work well...

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Buy an old mini-computer off ebay, put Windows 2000 or some friendly version of Linux on it, and plug the printer in.

10. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

In the first post, he said that there are already 4 computers in the house... Why buy a 5th when this can be done with a simple print server?

11. deusexaethera

Because the print server will probably cost more and be harder to configure.

12. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

And the link posted above is for a $30 print server. I don't think you can buy a computer and Windows 2000 for $30.

And harder to configure? It's not any harder to setup a print sever than it is to setup a router.

Are we reading the same thread?

13. deusexaethera

Yes, we are. I used to have multiple printers in the office using HP JetDirect print servers, and they were a pain in the ass. I ended up taking an old HP Vectra (click here) and hooking the printers up to it with some old LPT cables, and sharing them through the Vectra, and they've been behaving perfectly ever since.

14. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Holy crap dude... I have used several HP JetDirect boxes (various models), and they were easy as fuck to configure. They are not even remotely difficult. Also, cost? There are tons of inexpensive options, new and used... going to be far cheaper than a computer, with OS, and shipping to get that computer from random ebay seller to your house. Why do you guess and post without actually knowing what you are talking about?

15. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

The thread starter might as well just share the printer on an existing computer in the house than buy another.

And plus I believe we are only talking about 1 printer, not multiple.

I've had a Jetdirect print server in the house for years without any issues.

16. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

I've used the Jetdirect servers without any problems for years. I just add it as a local printer on my computer and connect it through a TCP port, and it works great. I would agree with Peyomp and Hate Crime about only buying printers that have ethernet and PCL support though. These two will cut out most of the potential driver problems you might otherwise have.