Network Layout - Non Work Related

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Boogieman117, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Boogieman117

Boogieman117 PSN: Boogieman117

Hey all,

I need some feedback on how to possible improve the network that's currently established at the Rescue Squad I volunteer at.

We're paying for basic Comcast cable modem service, using the little black box from Motorola that almost every home has. We have a WRT54G, one wired Ethernet connection and all the rest wireless. We have between 4-10 clients connected daily, doing anything form simple web surfing to gaming and downloading (legally :) ).

I went and purchased a Linksys switch and a Linksys WAP to increase the wireless range of the network and the switch as a 'bridge' to connect the router to the WAP and provide wired connections for laptop users. In doing so, I'm noticing that the cable modem seems to be cutting out randomly. I did a tracert to a website and found a switch somewhere in the middle that I can ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -t, and get 'real time' monitoring. Sure enough, eventually, the requests timed out. I'm also noticing that the port on the switch that connects it to the router isn't keeping a steady link, telling me that the possibly the LAN connection isn't good either. A wiretest proved that NOT to be the case, as the wires tested cleanly from one end to the other.

So, I'm thinking the network additions I've built is pulling too hard on the little modem that could. I made a quick draw up on the 'worst case scenario', where all computers that I know of, would be used all at the same time and the network topology that would hold it all.

PS: The WAP54G in the top left hand corner hasn't been completed yet, so subtract that AP and it's laptops for right now. That will come later. I'm just concerned that the cable modem isn't holding up.

[​IMG]

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Typical heat-buildup issue. If you're feeling industrious, cut 80mm holes in each of the boxes and attach 80mm computer fans to those holes to increase airflow, then solder the fans' power leads to the power connectors inside each box. If you're not feeling industrious, stick the cable modem and the router in a mini fridge and cut little slots in the insulation to let the cables pass through.

Get rid of the access points and buy an external high-gain antenna for the router. Get the kind that uses an extension cable to connect to the router, not the kind that screws onto the router directly -- the standalone antennas are the only way to get really kickass range.

3. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Do you mean that the link light flicking on and off when this happens?

That would mean a dodgey switch/switch port/cable modem. Find the trouble maker and get it replaced.

Also in your diagram I think the desktops should be connected to the switch not the 54g :big grin:

4. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Ive seen a computer in a bar fridge which became corroded due to the condensation and fell apart in less than 6 months. Fridges + computers :nono:

5. Boogieman117

Boogieman117 PSN: Boogieman117

Industrious I'm not, but unfortunately, the room that the network equipment sits in was about 85F last night. The powers that be decided to crank up the heat last night. I might be able to put a oscillating fan next to the equipment to cool it down a bit.

The link light flickered on and off on the Ehternet wire that connects the router to the switch. I thought that was a major boo boo, but a wiretest showed otherwise. Also, I'd literally just purchased the switch 4 hours prior, and tested with a ping test from my laptop through the switch to the router on all switch ports with no problem.

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Replace the router or switch with something that works. There is no reason that a simple appliance cannot handle that load. Your equipment is faulty, or of low quality.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  7. 7960

7960 New Member

:werd:

just point a fan directly at it and do all this testing again and see what happens.

8. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I agree with the heat idea but also that the equipment might be faulty. I would address the heat issue first and see if that solves your problems....if not, then I'd start replacing the hardware.

I would replace the router first...then the cable modem. This is because on my network, my router would lock up a lot. I'd simply reboot the router and it'd work again. HOwever, sometimes a lock up would require a reboot of the cable modem also. Once I replaced the router, the cable modem was fine...until it died.

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Why woudl there be reason to think it is heat?

10. Coottie

ever had a CPU lock up due to heat?

a better question is why wouldn't heat be an issue?

11. deusexaethera

1. Consumer-grade routers come in plastic boxes instead of metal ones. They have no way to radiate their heat away.

2. I have, several times now, installed cooling fans on problematic networking equipment and it stopped being problematic.

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I find it extremely unlikely that increased bandwidth would cause a router to overheat. That is a pretty far fetched. If it does, then the router is faulty. Buy a different one.

13. deusexaethera

Unlikely and farfetched is your opinion; true is my firsthand experience.

14. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I don't think the increased bandwidth is increasing the heat - it's probably just a coincidence that its become an issue with increased bandwidth.

15. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

okay, I agree with heat being a problem, but i dont think you should have to worry about it yet.

plug something into the same port on the switch, see if you can get the link light to go on and off like it did before (this should not happen!). If it does, take the switch back and say it is faulty, try and get a different brand just for fun.

If you can not make it happen, try a different switch port and cable. If it still cuts in and out try and get your isp to replace the modem.

16. deusexaethera

Everybody's still going on about the switch being the problem. What the guy should get his hands on is a single high-gain antenna to attach to his router, so he doesn't NEED the switch, or the access points, or the extra cabling. The easiest way to improve is to simplify.

17. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Actually, the heat thing is so ridiculous as to peg you as a fool.

18. Coottie

attempt at jollyogerfication = failed

19. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

get a router that works. those linksys don't have the ram to handle that kind of load. the wrt54g's (unless its the version 1 with linux firmware) will always lock-up.

20. deusexaethera

Coottie: :rofl:

galek_spoo: Interesting idea. What does the Linux firmware do that the stock firmware doesn't do?

21. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

I'm also wondering what he's going on with about ram. All of the WRTG series except the v5s are pretty solid anyway.

As for firmware, it allows the power users to have more fun with them. Does it make it suddenly more powerful and reach 500000 feet? Not really.

22. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Links to said antenna? I'm interesting in getting one. :bigthumb:

23. 7960

7960 New Member

yep... actually some of the settings will even degrade distance. Suer you can turn up the power but there's always a price... turn it up too much and you introduce noise, and noise sucks for wireless.

24. deusexaethera

25. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

the ver.1's started out with 16MB of ram. and the newer versions gradually went down in ram. currently they are down to 2MB of ram. not much to work with.