Network Issue and setup

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ldaggerl, May 7, 2009.

1. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Alright, this one may be a bit long as its got some back ground and everything is finally pissing me off.

Here is a list of the products I'm using on my network:
    -Encore Wireless N PCI card
    -D link Xtreme router with wireless N
    -Standard on board NICs
    -New Cox modem recently put in

So to start one day my fathers computer (its a Q6600, 4 Gigs ram, 8800GTS) had wireless internet and it just stopped working. When you went in and watched the network connection it was still running. It was sending but not recieving anything. I could not for the life of me get it to work. He did not want to reformat his computer so I went from having a decent wired connection to having an ok wireless connection that now drops out of no where all the time. I've checked to see if anything would be causing the signal to drop (any kind of interference) and could not find anything, its all upstairs 3 rooms apart with nothing really inbetween other than walls and only a few T.V's. Now when I lose connection it doesn't show the router in my avialable connections but then returns. I'm thinking that either my card is shutting down or having an issue(may be the case, I have another I will try. Same exact card from another computer), or my router is dying. Is there any kind of software I can run to check this out. Also anything else causing this problem.

On a side note with nothing related to this, I was wondering about teaming NICs? What I mean is you use two different nics one for sending, one for recieving with some kind of fault tolerence so if one goes down the other will revert back to sending and recieving? I know nothing about it other than it looks like a good way to gain some speed out of the network.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

What kind of security do you have on the wireless connection? Did you check for updates for the NIC? What's the signal quality of the connection when it's working?

You could temporarily turn off encryption on the wireless to test if it drops the same.

Are there any firmware updates for your router?

3. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

No encryption at all, I know its stupid but until its working right I didn't even want to throw something into the mix.

The quality is fine. Its not 100% but more like 80% on all three antenaa's. The interference is like 20% maybe. I'm remoted in right now and thats what it says.

4. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

5. TankedOutSuicide

TankedOutSuicide These aren't the DJs were looking for...

You can use Wireshark to diagnose the connection. The app will show you the inbound and outbound traffic in a more detailed fashion. Have you taken the card out and try in another workstation? Also check to see if recently the card recieved any updated drivers...maybe rolling back will help.

6. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

I have a card just like it that I'm about to try. Its the exact same card. I will download new drivers and clear off the old ones. I'm going to try wireshark first. Thanks. I want to figure out how to set up that dual NIC though. I have an old HP that I just want to set up into a file server and want to speed up files transfers.

7. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

You won't see a transfer increase.

If you still want to though, there are a few companies that provide software/drivers for teaming.

Broadcom and Intel as far as I know, have teaming software/drivers.

8. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

why wouldn't I see an increase?