network help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jdog12, Mar 2, 2005.

1. jdog12

jdog12 New Member

i currently have one laptop computer and one desktop computer, a cable internet connection and a dlink router. the computer is plugged into the router while the laptop is set up to connect wirelessly to the router. i have run into a problem and cant figure out the solution, maybe you all could help. both computers can see the router, and both can surf the internet. the desktop can see and can copy files from the laptop over to the desktop. but if i try to get on the laptop and get files from the desktop or use the desktop printer it will not let me. i mainly need this to use the printer on the desktop from the laptop. if i ping the laptop from the desktop i get a normal status, but if i try and ping the desktop from the laptop, i get a request timed out, if i open my network places from the laptop, i get nothing, i do not see the desktop, what could be wrong?

also, i had someones laptop the other day and connected and ethernet cable from their laptop(they use dialup at home btw) to the router, and was expecting IE to pick up the connection on its own, and be able to browse the internet, it would NOT do this, but firefox picked it up on its own.... is there any reason for this? how do i get it to connect using IE next time? any suggestions?

2. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

sounds like the desktop is running a firewall - sp2 perhaps?

3. jdog12

jdog12 New Member

oooohhh..... forgot about the firewall... no service pack 2... but i have mcaffee firewall running, how could i forget that one.. thanks!

4. jdog12

jdog12 New Member

the firewall is running on the desktop...... i dont know much about networking, i would like to configure the router as a firewall, but its kind of confusing to me.. ill have to look into it. IE not recognizing the connection is not a firewall issue, is there something i have to do in IE settings so that it will recognize it?

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

The router is actually a firewall since it has all ports blocked except the web and e-mail unless you specifically open other ports yourself. You really don't have the need for a software firewall then.

As for the laptop and IE, if the user has a modem, IE is probably set to always dial a connection. If you go into the IE connection settings, you can try to set it to dial a connection when a network is not available.

And as for the issue of accessing your desktop files/printer from your laptop, I'm not too sure about that. Run a ipconfig on each machine and verify that they have the same gateway and IP in the same subnet. Are they both getting dynamic IP's? If the machines are both XP, a good practice is to have a common user account on each machine to prevent any further problems. And you're saying that your laptop can't ping the desktop, but can it ping the router? I would disable the firewall to rule that out.

6. jdog12

jdog12 New Member

the laptop was able to ping the router, but not the desktop. they all had the same gateway and subnet, i have been real busy with school the last two days so i havent really had time to check it out, but i will look at it shortly.

how can i know that my router is doing its job as a firewall?

7. jdog12

jdog12 New Member

ok... fixed the mcaffee firewall... now the laptop can use the printer, files and ping the desktop. thanks.