Network hard drive

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by quzur, Dec 2, 2005.

1. quzur

quzur Active Member

2. zanyspy_dude

zanyspy_dude King of teh n00bz

Ok, you're buying this why? If this is just so you can network up a drive so all the computers at your house can see it, Let me suggest a different route...

Get an external hd and just use windows networking...that will run you only 200 if you do the newegg route

I own this external enclosure http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817145314 running like 30$ usb2

Other options availible, i like mine, the fan sometimes sticks and makes a noise when you first start the drive, but if you tap it, it will stop until the next time you turn the drive back on (which is like 1ce a month for me).

Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I use a Linksys NSLU2 with a USB enlcosure and hard drive attached to it.

I like the fact that it is directly on the network, so I don't have to worry about a machine being on to access it.

4. quzur

quzur Active Member

Like I said, to put all my media files on so I can access them on the network. This piece costs $200 so going the newegg way won't really save money. The other idea I had was to get the part cmsurfer has...the Linksys NSLU2. But with that I will still need to buy a USB hard drive. Any way I go I figure I am going to spend about $200. I'm just wondering what people think of these two options.

5. tragicher0

tragicher0 Before I couldn't even spell DBA, now I are one OT Supporter

The one caveat that I have seen thus far with these home NAS drives, is that all the client machines need to have some proprietary software installed to find the drive.

I personally have a netdisk at home, and got quite sick of using the software, so I slapped it onto a USB2.0 port of my domain controller at home (setup to test shit) and shared it out that way, faster, and much less overhead then using it as a NAS drive

6. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

Why not just set up an old computer and use that instead? You can remotely connect to it for administration and have way more control over a network drive.

7. quzur

quzur Active Member

What's wrong with the software? Did it have a negative effect on your machines?

8. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

You do not need any software to use the Linksys NAS I have. You simply give it an IP address and you are done.

Instead of buying a true external hard drive, buy a USB enclosure and IDE hard drive of your choice.

9. tragicher0

no, had no adverse effects, but I think it sucks to have to install some software for a NAS drive

10. tragicher0

Really?

Will look into buying one of these if this is true. Anyone want to buy a 160GB Netdisk