Network hard drive help?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SouSy, Jul 11, 2007.

1. SouSy

SouSy Active Member

So i bought this http://www.inoi.com/English/HD363N.asp and everything is set up right. I have the drive maped on my laptop, ports 21 and 80 fowarded. My question is how do i set this up (or what program do i use) to access my files from the internet (outside my home) and set passwords on some files. I also need to password protect some files and allow some of my buddies to upload stuff from their house. Ibnogymforhome comments

2. SouSy

SouSy Active Member

No help?

3. peerk

peerk New Member

To access the drive from the internet you will need to know your IP address. You can use a free service like http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/

And you can set up passwords through the web interface on the drive.

4. SouSy

SouSy Active Member

Thanks, i don't know what I was susposed to use the dyndns site for but I figured out how to use FTP. I can't figure out how to password protect the files (i've set them as protected in the harddrive's software but the FTP programs never ask for a password when opening them). Also any advice on how to just make a web page with all the files listed so my friends can download without using ftp?:x: Thank you!

5. peerk

peerk New Member

With Dyndns your friends can use something like SouSy.dyndns.org to connect to your ftp. This is useful because you probably don't have a static IP(there is no guarantee it will stay the same). Although it might stay the same for a long time.

Using dyndns you can update your IP manually on their website or install a program on one of your computers that automatically updates it.

And if you just want a listing of files with out using a separate ftp program you can open the ftp in a webbrowser.

If you really want a website you can always create a html document with some links and upload it to a host. Or if you have a spare machine you can map the drive to it and install IIS(XP pro) or apache. If IIS or apache seem like too much you can use something like analogx simple server.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007