Network Gurus, I need your help!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by airbrat, Nov 16, 2004.

1. airbrat

airbrat Swollen Member

I use to be able to connect to my server/home directory located on a different domain but suddenly I can't connect. When I use network neighborhood I can start browsing for the server but when I try to connect it will eventually time out.

Other users can connect to the same computer I'm trying to get to. I checked and double checked the network settings and everything is identical. I even tried using a lmhost file but that didn't work. I can ping the computer I want to get to and I even did a ipconfig /flushdns and registerdns but that didn't work.

The only way I can connect to the computer is by mapping via network IP. For example if I want to get to my home directory I would use xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/home and it would connect.

Please help. We have 6 employees and 2 can't connect.

All PC's are using WinXP using DHCP on Windows Active Directory.

2. illmatix

illmatix Diamond Studded Member OT Supporter

Try pinging the computer by name, what happens? It sounds like a DNS problem. Are you guys DHCP?

3. scorpio

scorpio Permanent Resident

Also check your host file and see if the connection is blocked..

4. yogip

yogip Guest

yup, sounds like dns. do a ipconfig /all and see if your pc picked up the correct dns servers from dhcp. if it did, try running nslookup once at the nslookup prompt, type in the hostname of that remote computer. if it comes up with the correct IP, you should be fine. if it doesn't...let us know.