Network Experts. Slow internet through router??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by negative zero, Apr 28, 2008.

1. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I noticed over the weekend that my general internet speed seemed to be slow. I looked at the modem and noticed the PC/Activity light was constantly illuminated. Normally it just flickers. I ran a speedtest and it was alot slower than usual. 1292Kb/s

I have a wired router as well as wireless so I unplugged the wireless just to be sure nobody was on it even though it's encryted (you never know). I rebooted my modem, rebooted wired router, rebooted pc. Ran AVG virus scanner and spyware.

I bypassed the wired router and hooked the modem straight into the PC and got great speeds (for comcast at least). 10218Kb/s

I don't know what to check next.

Any ideas?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

my wrt54g was doing something similar. let it cool down and it'd be fine for a little while, then crap out, again.

you need to get a high-performance router to deal with these newer high-bandwidth links.

3. negative zero

negative zero New Member

It's an older SMC that I have been threatening to replace. Maybe I will just unplug it for the night and see what it does tomorrow after work.

I may just have to buy a new non high performance because I think you are referring to something a little more than I want to spend. Actually a lot more.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

what's your budget? I dropped a little over $150. Still not terribly impressed, to be honest. I'm thinking about just building a seperate box to run win2k3 and handle routing for me.

5. negative zero

negative zero New Member

What did you get for 150 and what do you not like about it?

I just tried resetting the SMC and my speed dropped down to 69Kb/s. Yes, 69. :madfawk:

So I went out and found new firmware. Newest was Aug of 2003. :squint: But it's an old router so I figured as much.

Now I'm at a blazing 2228Kb/s download. Faster than originally but no where near what it is without the router. I did another speed test with no router and got 11369 Kb/s. How much of that should I actually achieve (with a decent router, not this POS)??

I've got a $50 Best Buy gift card but I know they just have linksys/belkin/etc.

6. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

lol. windows for routing.

7. negative zero

negative zero New Member

:squint:

Don't turn this into a shitstorm.

8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i apologize. i'll shut up.

was your speed great before and it just got crappy recently? was it ever as good (or anywhere close) through the router as it is direct to the modem?

9. negative zero

negative zero New Member

No offense. I just don't want to turn this into 3 pages of bickering back and forth................................ Until I get some useful info. :mamoru:

I just noticed it over the weekend. But in the past I have had to unplug that router and let it "re-sync" or wahtever. Something inside it has to be going south.

But I'm reading so many mixed reviews on the normal linksys/belkin/netgear stuff that I am overwhelmed. I just need some input of a reliable router that can work in my situation. Nothing special I don't even need wireless.

10. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

not a problem. i have a tendency to be a dick at times. :)
    e
    here is a site for basic network troubleshooting for a home pc.
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/loss.html

you've obviously narrowed it down to your router already, so that sit may be useless, but it is probably good info to have for the future.

11. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

I had a similar problem, my internet throughput seemed to be limited to 1500kbps or so. Turns out my wireless TCP/IP stack needed adjusting on my laptop in order to maximize my 5/768 connection. I had to adjust my receive window size to something above 100,000 in order to correct the problem. It appears to be an XP issue only, as my Vista laptop didn't have this problem.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it works very well. win2k3. not xp.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

D-Link DGL-4500. It still has issues with packetloss and stability under load.

these consumer devices just plain suck if you have a decent amount of bandwidth and actually try to do anything with it.

14. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Finally got around to replacing it with a cheap router I "borrowed" from work.

[​IMG]

Much better. MIght actually keep it.

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

And mister morals is going to pay for a license? Of Win2K3 Server? To route for you? I smell some hypocrisy, because that makes no sense whatsoever. :rofl:

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Some suck. Some don't. I read speed tests, and this guided my purchase so my DIR-655 doesn't have these problems.

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have a MSDN subscription. My use as a router in my home network-lab is entirely consistent with the terms of my MSDN license.

18. wagner

wagner Disallowed words OT Supporter

upgrade router firmware, upgrade / reinstall your wireless driver

adjust MTU if needed, try static speed/duplex settings instead of autonegotiation

replace router if needed, they are cheap

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: at the idea of using windows server as a router

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you can always tell who knows nothing when they give you an :ugh: when you suggest using Windows server for routing. It's very good at it.

And you've obviously never used SBS.

20. wagner

wagner Disallowed words OT Supporter

You are limited to using 100 images so please go back and correct the problem and then continue again.

I can't post all the rofls