Network Error Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by XR250rdr, Nov 15, 2004.

1. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Having a bit of trouble keeping my desktop connected to my domain controller at home.

Config: my two machines (server and desktop) are on a DLink 10/100 switch uplinked off a Linksys router connected to the cable modem. Addressing for my desktop is done via the DHCP server in the router. The server is addressed staticly.

Server: Windows Server 2003 Enterprise w/ Active Directory
    Desktop: Windows XP Pro SP2

I'm the only one of my roommates on the domain. I only set it up to get a feel for administering a domain since I have to deal with it somewhat at work. I've had it running for 6-8 months now and everything worked perfectly until recently. Now my desktop takes forever to log on (even after a fresh re-install of Windows) and after being logged on for a few hours I'm unable to connect to any of my network drives. I can still ping the server by name and Remote Desktop works as well. My user name has default Domain User permissions.

When I click on a network drive (if My Computer doesnt lock up all together) I get this error message:
    [​IMG]

Any ideas? Possible issue with the router?

2. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Its not the problem of the router as a router but possibly as a DHCP server.... There are two reasons this error usually occurs. Most likely the problem is having two DHCP server running confusing name services. The second is either your running DNS or the settings for DNS on the DHCP server is incorrect.

3. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Yea I think it was a DNS setting error. I only have the one DHCP server running. I added the server's IP to my DNS list and everything seems to be working well once again.

Thanks