Network drives?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by drinks11, Jul 17, 2006.

1. drinks11

drinks11 I record music.

Is there a way for me to set up a network drive on my mac like a windows machine? I know through windows you can just map a network drive, like a mini partition, but I can't figure out how to do it on a mac.

2. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Navigate to the drive you want to "map" and authenticate with it. If it asks for a password make sure you add it to Keychain to make it easier.

Once it's mounted on the desktop go to the Accounts Preference pane and click on the Login Items button. Now just drag the mounted network drive to the list and it will automatically mount each time you boot.

We do this at work and occasionally they just don't mount. So a quick navigation to them and they're back up (since Keychain already has the login info).

Oh, and if you want to share other sections or drives of your Mac with Windows computers you want to go to www.versiontracker.com and check out a program called SharePoints. This lets you set any Folder or drive as a shareable drive over the network. As opposed to the Macs only "Public" folder.

3. drinks11

drinks11 I record music.

sharepoints sounds perfect, i'll check it out.