network connections

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by linebacker, Oct 28, 2009.

1. linebacker

linebacker New Member

i have a laptop at work. i want to be able to make my firefox use the wireless connection while still connected to the LAN for work. LAN is the network for my work so i don't want to browse on it. is there a way to make firefox use the wireless connection, whist everything else goes though the LAN?

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

What wireless connection do you plan to browse on? I don't think what you want to do is possible.

3. linebacker

linebacker New Member

there is a wireless connection that i can pick up. it connects as one of my preferred networks. when i dock my laptop the LAN connects to my work network. the only way i can browse using the wireless connection is to disable the LAN. if i do this i have to enable it back to do work stuff and disable again to browse.

my question is if there is any way to port firefox to use the wireless connection for internet access, while maintaining a connection to the LAN for everything else?

4. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

No, there isn't.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

If your network is on one subnet and not spread out further than that (it won't work if you need access to another office on a different subnet), simply disable the gateway on the LAN connection. All internet traffic will go out on the WiFi and LAN traffic will stay on the LAN connection. The only caveat is that if the IP addresses are on the same subnet, you may end up surfing LAN traffic on the WiFi, which may cause problems.

6. Vito_Corleone

Vito_Corleone New Member

Use static routes for your work subnets, then set the metric for your wireless connection lower. This will use the wired for your work stuff and wireless for internets.

7. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Are you doing this to get around filters and other security measures at your place of work?? :squint: