network connection problem (smart ppl only..serious help)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by arc3 ange1, Sep 13, 2003.

1. arc3 ange1

arc3 ange1 Never be bought, Never be sold

i have cable. i use a router to connect both my computers. one computer's internet doesnt work at all, i swtiched teh cblaes to see if maybe the cable was the problem, it wasnt. i have no idea what to check. maybe the network card? please if u have an advice, put some. thanks :)

2. MP

MP New Member

try this one your computer

Start > run > command

type in:
    ipconfig /release all
    ipconfig /renew all

give it a sec to catch an IP addy from the router.

Once it's done you should be able to ping sites and get online.

3. MP

MP New Member

also give us more info on the comp/networks specs

updated drivers?
    updated firmware?

4. Divine Vengeance

Divine Vengeance New Member

What OS are you using also? Windows XP detects connections without needing much, if any, setup beforehand. 98/Me needs setup.

5. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

powercycle the modem and the router...leave them unplugged for a min, plug modem in, when online/cable light goes solid, plug in route,r start computers, and try...might wokr

6. arc3 ange1

nothing special, ihave xp on both computers...xp pro if it matters. ive been using this setup for like 8 months with no problem. then i come home from schol today and my comp didnt work. the first two commands someone told me to run, dos said "The oepration failed as no adapter is in the state permissionable for thsi operation."

nothing else is seeming to work either. any other suggestions? :dunno:

7. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Go to start-> run-> type in CMD, and in the command prompt type: ping 27.0.0.1

If you get no response, try reinstalling your NIC drivers. It kind of sounds like your NIC card may have died. :(

8. arc3 ange1

nic meaning my network card?

9. arc3 ange1

alright, heres what happened when i tryed pinging: when i did it on my copmuter (the one with the problem), it received 0 back, and lost all of them, it tried 4. then when i just tried it on my laptop (which thankfully still works), i tried the same thing, and it got timed out...which i guess was good consdering this internet works?

10. Black Light

Black Light Guest

u probably meant 127.0.0.1 :slap:

11. arc3 ange1

snap...i tried the 127, and on both the laptop and the comp it worked..but the comp's internet still doesnt work. is it because a setting maybe?

12. Leb_CRX

127 = localhost IP

your pinging yourself, the only thing that will tell you is if your tcp/ip stack is ok

13. Leb_CRX

dude powercycle the shit, I see it fix problems like these on a daily basis, I know it sounds stupid but belive me it fixes crap

14. Leb_CRX

check to make sure both computers are using DHCP (no ip/dns specified) to find out hit start/ctrl pannel/network and internet options/network connections/local area connection/properties, and check

also check to find out if they are getting a 192 IP address from the router (after you click localareaconnection/hit support tab/and IP address), and what is the IP

what you can try doing is manually specifying the IP address, if all above (suggestions) fail...do it then, and specify a 192 for both machines

post up what happens after you powercycle

15. arc3 ange1

hey, please tell what powercycle means? just hit the off button and turn it back on? sorry, ive never heard taht term before. sorry :)

and in ur second post you were talking about the DHCP. ive been running with it for like 8 months, so would it be possible for it to change by itself?

16. Leb_CRX

ok powercycle just means leaving it unplugged for a min or so...

shut down both pc's, unplug electricity for modem and router from wall, leave off for 2 min, plug in modem when online/cable becomes solid, plug in router, wait 20 seconds turn on machine...

check IP of both and post them here

17. arc3 ange1

my laptops (the one that worked prior to powercycling), is 12.225.30.53 from whatsmyip.com. my comp's still doesnt work..no ip, cant even get online. i think my network card died.....agreed?

18. Leb_CRX

nononono by you going to whatismyip.com it will tell you the IP your connected to, the one supplied by your ISP, in this case the router's IP...

to get your IP, hit start/ctrlplanne/network and internet connections**if you have this one**/network connections...you will see local area connection, double click on it, hit support, tell me the IP and also for address type what it says...do this on both computers and post both ip's

19. arc3 ange1

my ip for 'local area connection 2' computer (one that doesnt work) is 169.254.101.152
    the one for my laptop is 192.168.0.101 for 'local area connection' and for 'local area connection 2' is the same as the computer...169.254.101.152. the weird thing is that only the 'local area connection' has recieved and sent any packets, which it says on the 'general' tab. any suggestions? thanks

20. Leb_CRX

yep, the assign IP for the router is 192.168.x.x (unless otherwise specified, and that's a private routing IP, of a Class C )...so you getting a 169 by the one that dosen't work...seems like the first PC is not getting a valid IP...could be a few things, first make sure the cable is 100% secure and ensure that the LINK lights are on...then if it is, go into the device manager and reinstall the NIC card (probally wont do much since XP rebuilds the TCP/IP stack on bootup, but worth a shot, especially since the IP might be manually specified)..to get into device manager, right click my computer, go to properties, go hardware tab, then the device manager button, the network adapters you will see it there, right click, uninstall, the reboot right away, and windows will automatically detect and isntall it

the weird thing is that both machines are getting the SAME 169 IP address, either by coincidence or they are specified manually...

before you do anything, check to make sure the address TYPE (listed right over the IP address in the support tab, I asked you to get that in previous post) is set to Assign by DHCP, if it is, do teh steps I say above, if it says Assigned manually...post here, what the case is there is that your specifing the IP and your not letting the router do it's DHCP job, which is to give IP's (in this case 192.168.x.x), and since the IP that is manually specified wont work with the router, could explain it for sure, but reinstalling the NIC card will get rid of the manual settings and set you back to DHCP, so you can try that as well

if it says assigned automatically, do what I say above, after that post here, and update it if it worked or not...if not, i'll show you how to manually put a 192 IP and see if that works or not

keep us updated...I know I am jumping all over the place, but there's lots of info, and hard to write it all out without jumping all over :hs:

21. Leb_CRX

TTT....what happened, I wanna know

22. arc3 ange1

alright man, sorry, i was away for a bit..got busy with school. ill try what u said above. ill post in like 30

23. arc3 ange1

alright so heres whats going on....i tried full on taking my card out, turning it on, turning it off, putting the card back in, then turned it on. heres what happened: my router says theres activity being sent to both my laptop (im on), and the computer. the ethernet card in the computer however only has a solid light on the 100...not the 10 or the 'ACT'(im not sure what this is?) LED. the computer itself had no signal, i coudnt connect to any site or anything. i then tried going to device manager, uninstalling the card, then restarting. once again nothing happened, didnt even reinstgall the hardware either (but thats a windows prob i have..nothing to do with internet). is ther such thing as a 'bad' pci slot? im going to try a new ethernet card i got. ill report back

24. arc3 ange1

well...how nice. first off compaq puts these fucking metgal things around the pci slots so in order to get them off, i had to cut them...next, i put my brand new ethernet card in..it sets up, and it still doesnt work...hurray!!!

ill try the things u said above..and ill write back with the info. but if it helped..my computer was behind a proxy..but i dont think that would make it so i couldnt connect to anything (internet, aim, HLSW [program that connects u to counter strike servers], etc).

25. arc3 ange1

alright, let me write out all this stuff for you about the ip's in the support tab under network connections. for the laptop:

Local Area Connection
    enabled
    ip: 192.168.0.101
    type: Assigned by DHCP
    packets sent:33,075 packets recived:35,236

Local Area Connection 2
    enabled
    ip: 169.254.101.152
    type: Automatic Private Address
    0 packets sent or received

1394 Connection
    enabled
    ip: <Unavilable>
    type: <Unavilable>
    0 packets sent or received

my BRAND NEW, just put in, ethernet card in my computer:

Local Area Connection 3 (why 3 when there is no other?)
    enabled
    ip: 169.254.61.90
    type: Automatic Private Address
    69 packets sent, 1 received (how does this work if its not connected?)

theres all the info man. if i think im getting what you're saying, i need my computers type of ip to be assigned by DHCP, right? w/b. thanks :)