Network Connection History

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RaginBajin, Sep 22, 2003.

1. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

I have been having a lot of problems with my network connection lately. So, I have decided that want to start collecting some stats on a couple of things. I have been thinking about and looking on the web on how to accomplish these things, and I would like to get a couple more ideas.

I want to collect the following info:

1. Download Speed (ie speed test that some of these sites offer)
    2. Connection Up or Down (this should be easy just a ping on an outside machine)

Those are the only two things I would think I need. Does anybody else know of any scripts out there already that do this, and if there are anymore stats that I should gather? I am trying to go back to the Provider and tell them what is going on, but they don't seem to believe me.

--Joe

2. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Nevermind. I was wrong.

3. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

4. RaginBajin

That really doesn't help to much. I need to keep the information from my connection out..

hmmm

5. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Why not just ping and collect the time it takes. As long as you're always hitting servers that do not physically move or change networks often, this should be exceptable. This would also take care of the "do I have a network connection" problem.

I had thought about doing this. In fact, I wouldn't mind having one of my Linux boxes in charge of doing this a few times a day. Now that I think about it, the ping command I believe has a retry option - so I think its possible to let it run (as a background process) and maybe ping once every few hours/minutes and toss it all to a log. Then its a matter of creating a tool to process the log. That would be pretty easy to do.

As for an argument with your ISP, I doubt this will hold up (they could say you fudged the numbers or there was a lot of folks on at that time). Best approach: catch it when its happening and get them on the phone. Then walk them through pinging your IP address and MAC address of the cable/dsl modem (if available - I had Adelphia ping my IP and it had some really terrible times so they pinged the MAC address of my cable modem and noticed there was still a problem).

6. RaginBajin

Yeah I'll have to catch them, but it happens at night so its a bit hard say at 2am when the connection goes down. This is a T-1 line that we have at the house, so I should not even have this problem.

7. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

You have an SLA on it? If so, there should be a 24hr contact number. If not, then you're kind of screwing yourself (well, actually your ISP is screwing you) if you really need that T1 to be up 24/7. If they're up at 2am and your line is down, then CALL THEM! Get it while its down and tell them "WTF?!" And let them deal with it.

8. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I forgot that you had that T1. :eek: There should be no question about finding help if you are paying for that line and you have an SLA.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2003
  9. RaginBajin

True I think there is a number, but I haven't looked at the papers in while.. I'll have to pull them out and start harassing them everytime it goes out. I just wanted something to keep track of what was going on... But you guys make a good point.. I forgot about that SLA.

10. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Actually, if you call them up each time, they should keep a record (and you may want to keep a record too). It drives them and their bosses NUTS when they find out you've contacted them over 2 or 3 times for the same problem - it means there is a problem, you're wasting their time, and they haven't made you happy.