Network cable question...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by wiseoldmofo, Feb 19, 2007.

1. wiseoldmofo

wiseoldmofo New Member

I'm looking at getting a cable tester for testing homemade cables to make sure they are "put together" properly. Alot of the ones I look at say they do CAT5 cable but very few say they check CAT6 cables.

Any reason why a tester would not check the CAT6 cables vs the CAT5 cables ????

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yes...because all eight-wire RJ-45 cables are exactly the same.

Well...technically, there are two ways that the wires inside RJ-45 hardware can be connected, but those two patterns are nonetheless the same across all RJ-45 hardware, so there's no reason why you would need a tester specifically for one category of RJ-45.

Beyond making sure that it's wired correctly, all you can do is plug it in and see if your connections are good enough to get the full rated transfer speed.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ugh there are many more than TWO ways. In fact, I use FIVE on a regular basis!

But most testers for Cat5 are fine for Cat6. In fact, I use my uber-old tester even for gigabit copper networks.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

(shrug) I'm sure you could connect the wires in any old random order, but I've only ever seen two ways that were actually compatible with anything else.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Undoutedly you're refering to: T568A/B

There are other common types, used with routers and switches from companies such as Cisco, which use different pinouts.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

The answer is quite simple - the difference between Cat 5 and Cat 6 have to do with rating of the cable, not how they're terminated. It's kind of a misnomer to test Cat 5 by checking to ensure it's terminated properly because to test Cat 5 you would need a much more sophisticated instrument that can test interference, packet loss, etc... Your low end testers simply test continuity, not the cable's "quality".