network and file sharing question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Budha, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Budha

Budha Guest

I'll give you guys the quick scenario.

-I have an HP Desktop. I have tons of music,movies, pictures, etc...
    -I'm getting a macbook pro once leopard comes out.
    -I have a wireless linksys router that I plan on creating a network for in my house so I can share the files from the laptop and PC.

Now I'm wondering if my PC will work good doing that. I'm gonna add another huge HD inside of it, and maybe even another external 500 one to backup ALL of my files periodically. I basically just want to be able to access my files easily, so I can spare tons of HD space on my laptop, and only get the ones I need when I need them.

Also, is there a way I can set it up so I can access my PC when I'm online somewhere else, say at a school or something?
  2. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

Jan 30, 2005
    This is all very doable. Set up normal windows shares, access them from OS X either by browsing the network or using CMD-K and typing smb://server/sharename and authenticating to the remote resource. For controlling your windows machines, (for the server) and Chicken Of the VNC (for the Client) is prolly your best bet. If you wanna get fancy, you could get a VPN router (or use a custom firmware on your linksys that will give you VPN endpoint functionality) and create a VPN tunnel into your etwork from whereever you are on the internet and then VNC into your machine ;)