netgear wgr614 and wg311 connection problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by suitcase, Feb 18, 2004.

1. suitcase

suitcase New Member

I'm having some troubles with my wireless setup, i'm using a netgear wgr614 router and wg311 pci card and the connection drops every 5 minutes it seems like. I can't think what would be wrong with it, the signal strength is excellent and i can browse the internet fine (i have a dsl line going through the router) when it's connected. Any ideas on what is causing this and any ideas on how to get it to stop dropping the connection?

2. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

any 2.4 gig cordless phones, microwaves, etc around that could be causing interference? (assuming this isn't 802.11a - to lazy to look it up)

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I have a similar problem at work, and maybe it will give you an idea.

This is for XP and I believe Windows 2000 also.

This is from memory, so bear with me...

Go into the wireless network settings. When you see the page where you would enter your WEP settings, click on the advanced tab on top. There should be a line with a checkbox that says something like allow or check for 802.xx authentication. Make sure that it UN-checked.

Also...

I'm not familiar with Netgear since I have Linksys stuff, but make sure you use Windows to setup your wireless connection. If you are using a configuration utility from Netgear, disable that and use the Windows one. That's another reason why it can cut off.

I've seen them both.

HTH.

CM.

4. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Try removing the QoS service from the network adaptor. I had a similar issue and after removing the service the problem went away.

5. suitcase

suitcase New Member

The 802.xx authentication was checked.. connection doesn't drop anymore.. the only problem now is i can't access hotmail. I have another computer that's wired to the router and that won't access hotmail either. any suggestions on that problem?

6. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

Had the same problem. Dunno what was the deal.

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Hmm... Not sure about that one. I don't have a Hotmail account anymore since all I got was 300 junk e-mails a day.

That's weird because that setting should only apply to the wireless connection, not a wired one.

Are you sure Hotmail worked when the box for the 802.xx auth. was checked? I would at least try chekcing the box to how it was and see if that changes.

What kind of error do you get when you try to get to Hotmail??

Maybe you can go to the Hotmail site and look for some FAQ's??