Netgear WG511

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by LBKornhusker, Aug 14, 2003.

1. LBKornhusker

LBKornhusker Muscular cyborg German dude dances with sexy Frenc

I'm looking at getting a wireless internet card for my Dell laptop, and from what I've looked at, the Netgear WG511 looks like the best deal out there. It gets both B and G frequencies for wireless internet, and compared to the other brands offering the same dual-band option, it's the cheapest. What do you guys think about this, and is there anything you recommend?

2. Phreck

Phreck Apple Crew Horra!

I got a Linksys WRT54G last night and I like it a lot. I would assume setup is easy, but i didn't do it the easy way. I had to get it to talk to the other router. Not a good idea to have two routers on the same network. Anyways, after it was all set up, it was great. Most routers/access points that support 802.11g will also support 802.11b.

3. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

:werd: Exactly what I was going to say.. 802.11G is backwards compatible. No need to buy into the whole "Dual-band" marketing deal. Just get a plain old 802.11G card and you'll be fine.

BTW - For the record, Both Netgear and the WG511/WG54 are great products.

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Ditto on the netgear wireless G router, I set mine up last weekend, and other than being unable to disable the ssid broadcast(till I flashed to the new beta firmware), it went great.