Netgear RT314 causing lag

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ancientpc, Jul 9, 2003.

1. ancientpc

ancientpc Guest

I've left my router / switch combo on 24/7/365 for the past 3 years or so. Nowadays the router causes lag anywhere from 10ms (normal) to 1000ms. This can sometimes be temporarily (as in fixed for 5 minutes) if I reset the router before the ping fluctuates anywhere from 10 - 600ms again.

Should I just blindly update the firmware and pray this works? Or what else could be causing the problem?
  2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Mar 14, 2000
    The same symptoms can be observed with a worm spamming the world by the way. It will stop if there is no way out, wait until there is a connection again, wait a few minutes and then start up again. I would definately pinpoint the problem by removing the router temporarily or running netstat -an on the computers to see if there's anything being outputted that shouldn't be (more often than not you'll see like 10 connections to a smtp server somewhere).
  3. Rob

Rob Active Member OT Supporter

Jul 6, 2002
    When you do a tracert is thelag on the first hop or second? I just want to make sure the lag is on the inside and not on your cable link.
  4. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Oct 14, 2002
    Was going to be my suggestion. Need to pinpoint if its on your router or the next hop over (the ISP)..

Of course another way to test is what 5Gen said. Remove the router and go modem straight to a PC..If all is well, then its your router. If not - May be the ISP.