Netgear 108mbps card crappier than a buffalo 11mbps 1 yearold card?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by funkdis, Dec 17, 2004.

1. funkdis

funkdis OT Supporter

I've been using a Buaffalo 11mpbs card for some time with my NES Versa e600 latop (roughly 18 months old) the laptop is a has a PC card slot II PCMCIA slot.
    I went out and purchased a 108mpbs netgear WGT634u router 2 months ago, and decided yesterday to purchase the 108mpbs netgear pcmia card so that im able to stream video's over the network.

with the card in, im running at 108mpbs, how ever the signle strenght is only 2 bars, as compared to the buffalo card which is 5 bars. the laptop is in exactly the same place, the enviroment hasn't changed (eg, there are no electrical interferences around me).

I decided to update the drivers on the netgear pcmia hopeing it would fix the problem but nothing has changed. My buffalo card still gets a slightly better distance and better coverage compared to the netgear.

What could be wrong?, as im better off with my buffalo atm but in the need for 108mbps

btw the router is situated about 9 metres from me atm, the only objects thats in the way, is 1 glass window, and just a 1 sided brick wall.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

dunno, but my netgear 511T cards (2 of em) get better range than anything else I've ever used. I can go almost to the end of the block and still have access.

3. funkdis

funkdis OT Supporter

which router are you using?

4. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

First off, is the reduced signal causing an actual problem? It is slowing your transfers or causing drop offs? If not, don't worry about it. Different cards perform differently. I'm not suprised that a Buffalo will outperform a Netgear. Buffalo is a very good card, while Netgear is, well, average.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Netgear 624 (108Mbps Router)

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Buffalo better than Netgear? That's like saying Linksys is better than crap! Bay Networks (netgear) has been making awsome gear for years. It's easily the best of the consumer-grade equipment.

7. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

FYI: They don't engineer most of their 802.11 gear. It's just the same reference designs from the chip manufactures that everyone else uses. Buffalo is know for making execellent 802.11 gear. That's why Linksys, Netgear, Motorolla, et al, have cards that all look the same. I like netgear SOHO ethernet products, and own a lot of them, but their wireless products are all just average.

8. mhrc4

mhrc4 New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Bay Networks has never produced quality grade material EVER. I have 4 of their 24 port enterprise switches from 5-6 years ago, and even then, they still werent worth a damn, just like today, netgear is not worth a damn.

Cisco didnt buy netgear, did they, they bought linksys because of the brand name and the quality of service.

While i am not questioning your accusation of Buffalo being crap, I sure as hell would not rank netgear near the top of any networking list.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Linksys? quality? OMG you're a moron!!! rofl.

10. homer888

homer888 New Member

i'd say proxim makes the best shit

11. funkdis

funkdis OT Supporter

the signal acutally drops out while transfering files, in addition to that its also slow even though its connected at 108mbps.
    i've got the Netgear 634 router, same as the 624 pretty much.