COMIC Netflix Anime Queue: Tell me if these are worth renting...

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Idea of Evil, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Idea of Evil

Idea of Evil Struggle

and even "backing up" :o

Samurai X 1-4 + Directors Cut

Cowbow Bebop The Movie

Plastic Little: The Adventures of Captain Tita:
    Welcome to Yietta, a breathtakingly beautiful planet where colonists live on a floating artificial continent. But there's trouble in paradise: A secret military organization is plotting to take control of the planet. A professor sabotages their plans -- at the cost of his own life. Now Captain Tita and her hyper-sub crew are putting their lives on the line to rescue the professor's daughter. It's a planet-wide game of cat and mouse!

Ah! MY GODDESS! the movie

Haibane-Renmei 1-4:
    In this wistful anime series, the angel-like haibane arrive in Guri in seed pods that fly into the walled town and grow into cocoons. Their names are derived from the dreams they've had while "growing" inside the cocoon, and they have no memory of their previous life. New arrival Rakka -- full of questions about her purpose and surroundings -- joins Nemu and Reki, oldest of all the haibane.

Colorful:
    This collection comprises more than 50 short, animated episodes about men, women and their unbridled (and sometimes perverse) lust. The stories revolve around beautiful women on the subway, students infatuated with their teachers, teachers infatuated with their students, the bizarre phenomenon of furries … and much more. Aptly titled, Colorful is a ribald look at sex and relationships.

Steel Angel Kurumi:
    In this anime thriller, the future of the entire planet is in the hands of a young boy who discovers the existence of -- and becomes the master of -- the Steel Angel Kurumi, a creature made for military use by the Academy. Now, the Steel Angel Kurumi's makers are out to destroy the boy who possesses their weapon.

Full Metal Panic

RahXephon (7-Disc Series):
    The year is 2015, and most of the Earth's population has been wiped out in a brutal war. High schooler Ayato Kamina meets a girl named Reika Mishima, who takes him to a secret sanctuary that's a temporary home to the war's civilian survivors. There, a humanoid mechanical weapon emerges from a black egg bearing a mark similar to one Ayato has on his body. And, as it turns out, only the young teenager can pilot this new weapon.

Now and Then, Here and There:
    Dragged through a time warp by a giant machine, Shu is thrust into a hellish future of slavery and war. There he is captured by an army of kidnapped children. Caught between reluctant soldiers and the madman who has stolen their innocence, Shu fights to save the future. Can one child stop a war?

Tsukihime Lunar Legend (3-Disc Series) :
    Born with Mystic Eyes of Death Perception, which enable him to destroy anything, Shiki is finally able to live a normal life by wearing a pair of special glasses. But his life turns upside down when he falls for a woman and kills her, or so he thinks. He soon discovers his actions didn't end the woman's life -- she's a fanged creature of the night, immune to Shiki's powers. This collection features four complete episodes from the anime series :rofl:

:x:

2. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

The ones id personally go after are, the bebop movie, Ah my godess, colorful, and Samurai X.

3. Luffy

Luffy | Anime Crew | Gear Second |

that's one LONG ASS sig you got there. lol

4. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

bebop, kenshin, rahxephon, haibane, FMP, tsukihime, and Now and Then Here and There.

Those are all very good.

I dont understand how Rod can not suggest FMP at the very very least. It's exceptionally good. The other stuff is also very good.

5. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

GAH!!!! I overlooked it , gomen!! FMP is one of my favorites, the fumofu "season" was exceptionally good for laughs.

6. tun

tun Active Member

Full Metal Panic only from that list. :o

7. Kira Yamato

Kira Yamato New Member

i want a signature :(

8. valvefloat

valvefloat OT Supporter

Cowboy Bebop movie is really good.

9. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

:rofl: I thought you liked romance anime? How can you not suggest Remniscience? One of the best romance animes ever. Tsukihime also follows from the same vein.

10. tun

tun Active Member

I don't see any reminicense on that list nor have I ever heard of it. and never heard watched tsukihime eitehr

11. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

Samurai X 1-4 is sometimes called Remniscience. I'm not sure if that includes Reflection as well since although Remniscience is 4 episodes, it's split up into only 2 OVAs. Reflections, which is what happens after the 95 ep series, is also only 2 OVAs but 4 episodes.

Anyway, it tops the top 200 list on animenfo.com and is arguably the best short romance animes ever. I was amazed how much they packed into 1.5 hrs.

Tsukihime is in the 20s on the list. It's also very good. In fact, everything I recommended is sub 30 on the list so it's all very good.

here's a link to Remniscience: http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,315,tjbtjv,rurouni_kenshin.html

12. Idea of Evil

Idea of Evil Struggle

:cool:

13. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

14. tun

tun Active Member

15. Sekuhara

Sekuhara FIGHT THE POWER

No (I saw it and I've never seen the kenshin series)

16. tun

tun Active Member

now the most important question, which sub is the best :o

17. Sekuhara

Sekuhara FIGHT THE POWER

:dunno: I always hear people talking about the quality of their subs, but I've only noticed shitty subbing once ever.

18. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

zhentarim or anime-hq, I think

19. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

if you're really anal, you can see differences in video quality and subbing fidelity.

and since you're investing time into watching it, you might as well spend 5-10 minutes finding the best sub possible :dunno:

20. Sekuhara

Sekuhara FIGHT THE POWER

video quality != sub quality

then again I think I get most of what is said from the audio.. I only look if it's something difficult, and I wouldn't know the difference then anyways..

21. Sekuhara

Sekuhara FIGHT THE POWER

and even for video quality.. I'd much rather have 36-50 out right now with lower resolution :o

22. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

uhh what? i assume when TUN says subs, he's looking for the best fansubbing group and each fansubbing group has different video quality. I look for the fansubs with the best video quality and sub fidelity.

23. Idea of Evil

Idea of Evil Struggle

the DVD subs of course :o

24. tun

tun Active Member

these things are what I look for in a good sub

1) good video quality. this includes a good source as well as good encoding and filtering.
    2) good editing. this includes making sure that spelling and grammar are flawless, and subs are coherent.
    3) good translation. self explanatory. I'm a fan of literal translations with translations into spoken english only when there's no equivilent or if it will sound better that way.
    4) good audio. self explanatory.
    5) good typesetting. this includes a nice sized/styled font, preferably softsubs so I can edit any mistakes in the subs that are glaring to me, and good color. I'm also a fan of having the colors of the font match the hair color of the person saying them. Some groups do this and I appreciate the touch every time.
    6) good timing. self explanatory as well. The subs have to show up on time. I'm also a fan of stutter stepping, where the subtitles come out as the line is spoken. Lunar is a great example of good stutter stepping. stutter stepping is advantageous because it doesn't spoil what happens before the character even says the line.

25. Sekuhara

Sekuhara FIGHT THE POWER

I was talking about the subtitles only. Obviously everyone can tell good from bad video quality :squint: