NetFlix: An Entertainment Odyssey

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Goku, May 14, 2008.

1. Goku

Goku New Member

My Intentions: To demarcate my place in OffTopic.com whie also practicing my "movie reviewal" skills.

My Goal: To review all the movies I watch from my NetFlix queue, as well as comment on the experience of owning a NetFlix account.

Enjoy!

Goku

2. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

switch to blockbuster it was much quicker for me anyway, they got the movies to me quicker than netflix plus the free instore rentals, then again if you don't have any blockbusters near ya nevermind though

3. Hoss

Hoss Nah, i had water yesterday

i like on demand with all premium channels

4. Felixx219

Felixx219 New Member

Netflix is kicking the shit out of Blockbuster. I have had three Blockbusters close in my area in the last 2 months. They are sinking and doing it very quickly. I just did a case study on this situation in my IS class this last semester. They have screwed me far too much in the past to get my business.

I think Netflix is a great service. I love their service and have no reason to use any other. Whoever came up with this service is genius.

Right now I have Into the Wild, Closer, and Silent Fall at home right now.

I go through about 15-20 movies a month which comes to less than a buck a movie.

Also, I get movies from Netflix in one day every single time. So, I mail out a movie and they get it the next day and then I get a movie back the day following. You cant beat that.

5. bennyandthejet

bennyandthejet nom nom nom

I personally have had Netflix for about a year, then I switched to Blockbuster, not because I had a bad experience with netflix, but just because blockbuster has the local stores. So basically, I prefer blockbuster only because ALOT of times I prefer once I am done watching the 3 movies I got in the mail to goto the blockbuster store and get 3 more. As soon as I drop the 3 off at the store, blockbuster sends me 3 more through the mail as well as I just got 3 from the store. So all in all I end up with 6 movies out at once. You can not beat that. While your waiting for your 3 movies to get there in the mail, you get 3 at the store.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I had blockbuster for 6 months and just switched to netflix last month. Overall I did like the swap-in-store but their plans were also more expensive than netflix. With netflix I pay $16.99 for 3-at-a-time and unlimited exchanges, with unlimited online viewing. So far, I really like the online viewing. With blockbuster, I'd have to pay $34.99 to get 3-out from the online service and get unlimited in-store exchanges -- that's way too much money. I had the $19.99 plan which only gave 5 in-store exchanges for the month. So it's $3 more for 5 in-store exchanges (compared to netflix). But the problem is driving to blockbuster is somewhat of a pain, and I had major major problems with getting unplayable discs. LAME! It's also much more convenient to simply browse/click online than to wander through blockbuster's rows of movies.

I think NetFlix has a better movie selection (they claim 20k more movie titles than blockbuster).

I also like how i got mad money yesterday (the day after release -- which means it had to ship on tuesday, the same day it released) and I didn't have to deal with the mahem that blockbuster tends to be after new movies come out. I also didn't add it to my waiting list until sunday, so its not like i was high on their list for the title.

The only issue I've had which required me to "wait" was X-Files Season 3, because they were holding the rest of the series until they had disc 1 back... It was annoying, at the time, but I appreciate them sending me the series in order. It was only a 2 day wait, and they sent me other titles on my list in the mean-time.

It's early in the game to come to a conclusion, but NetFlix seems to be the better deal, for me.

7. bennyandthejet

Yeah, as I said never had 1 bit of a problem with netflix, it was great while I had it. The online viewing thing sounds pretty cool. Do they have all movies available like that or just certain ones? I was just wondering how the online movie thing worked, as it could change my decision because netflix didn't have the online movie feature when I had it.

8. Felixx219

Felixx219 New Member

I will be shocked if Blockbuster is still around in 2 years or so.

9. bennyandthejet

Yeah, renting movies is retarded nowadays, and not to mention Blockbuster charges out the ass just to rent a movie only to be able to get it for like 2 days. I have one really great idea that would save blockbuster, but im saving it for myself :)

10. sploosh

sploosh OT Supporter

The reason I like Netflix vs. Blockbuster online is the movie selection. Netflix has much more foreign and independant movies that Blockbuster does, from what I have seen.