Netbook?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by als54, Aug 10, 2009.

1. als54

als54 OT Supporter

Any netbook users our there? I'm looking to buy one within the next week and would appreciate any input. I've kind of zerod in on the Asus 1005 or the HP 1030NR.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

3. haga41

haga41 OT Supporter

Just got the ASUS 1005HA and love it. :bigthumb:

4. CodeX

CodeX Guest

I've used 2 Asus EeePC's, my bosses (to test software on) and my sisters, and HATED using both of them.

They are as weak as a graphing calculator, the screen is so small that a surprising number of applications simply do not work correctly without setting the resolution so that you have to scroll the screen around with the mouse. If you intend to use them for ANYTHING other than browsing text-based websites prepare to be disappointed.

5. als54

als54 OT Supporter

How's it for browsing and video streaming?

6. als54

als54 OT Supporter

What models?

7. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

What the fuck. I do EVERYTHING on my eee pc (1000), and haven't ever needed to set my resolution for scrolling around. I had it hooked up to a 24" monitor at college but haven't hooked it up to my spare monitor at home for the past month.

The op is looking for a netbook, I think he's prepared for a 10 or so inch screen.

8. CodeX

CodeX Guest

It was like going back to a 100mhz Pentium 1 with 128mb of ram. Every single input results in a 10 second to 1 minute wait time for windows to respond.

Just double clicking my computer to open up the root directory takes 20 or seconds.

Granted, these weren't mine, they were both someone elses that I was using and if they were mine I could likely optimize them. but my boss is no idiot either he is lead (software) engineer of a company that designs fiber optic test and measurement equipment and when I commented on how damn slow the eee pc was he said "what do you want it was 400 bucks?" lol

9. als54

als54 OT Supporter

Well the netbooks I've looked at have been pretty responsive and seem to run pretty quick. All I want it for is browsing and maybe a little work processing. The last laptop I ad I installed Ubuntu which ran well and I may install Linux on the new one.

10. deusexaethera

I have a 2.x GHz Sony VAIO that I got for free; it has 1GB of RAM (I plan to see if it can use more) and some kind of cheap ATi video card built-in. I added an SSD and an Intel PROset 2915ABG wireless card (the original one couldn't handle WPA encryption), and it works like a charm. The Windows loading screen flashes past before the little blue scroll thingy makes a single trip across its little bar.

11. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Good lord I run Windows 2000 in a VirtualBox on Ubuntu without any problems, it's certainly snappy but applications in it can take a while if I have a bunch of things open. Didn't even upgrade my ram from 1gb (still saying I will though).

12. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

i would just recommend going to the store to literally feel these netbooks out. some feel fine, some have a wierd keyboard layout, some feel cheap.

decided not to get a netbook in the end, but the netbook i liked the most at the time was the lenovo s10.

13. als54

als54 OT Supporter

Actually I did that yesterday. I went to Best Buy and tried both. I liked the Asus, but I like the screen better on the HP it does seem to have the glare factor of the Asus I could be happy with either. I'll probably be ordering what ever I decide on from Newegg.

14. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Netbooks aren't meant to be super fast, sure it may take a few seconds to open up but they last around 6 hours with use. They aren't meant to play games, they are used for simple things such as web browsing and document editing. Also they are small for a reason, its very portable. They fit almost anywhere and are very cheap. If your looking for more than a netbook isn't what you want, you'll need to look into a laptop.

15. als54

als54 OT Supporter

Browsing and occasional word processing is my intended use as I stated in the first post. Thanks

16. DIABLOS

DIABLOS New Member

I have a Samsung NC10 and it's pretty awesome for browsing the net in bed or traveling.

17. als54

als54 OT Supporter

Thanks guys, IA got the Gateway LT3101u and am very pleased with. It has Vista,11.6" screen, and AMD Neo processor. I'm thinking of installiny Windows 7, but Vista runs pretty good on it which means Windows 7 will run even better.

18. deusexaethera

Windows 7 is Vista, just with less annoying popups. The popups aren't even that annoying on a machine that's built to run Vista, because they pop up instantly instead of taking several seconds to appear. W7 looks nice, but I won't use it until Service Pack 1 comes out. That's a good rule of thumb for any OS.

19. 7960

7960 New Member

I have no idea why these things are popular, when for another $40 you can have a 15" screen on a full sized laptop with all the drives and readers and bells and whistles you'd expect.

20. als54

als54 OT Supporter

So you are using Windows 7? I am familiar with both Vista and Windows 7. The pop up can be turned off by disabling the UAC. I beg to differ they are not the same Win 7 is what Vista should have been if MS hadn't been in should a hurry to release it. I would agree with what you are saming about waiting for SP1 in a corporate environment. Being in IT for quite some time it is nice to have knowledge of new OS' before they hit your users workstations. There is no future in XP and support will soon be lessening with Window 7's release around the corner. Like it or not it's coming.

21. als54

als54 OT Supporter

The reason why I wanted one was size, I don't want a 15". I will do everything I need it to do.

22. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I have a Samsung N120. I love the keyboard on it, and the size is good, but damn, it sure is slow. I bought it mainly for the size and the battery life, and it met those needs nicely.

23. als54

als54 OT Supporter

I don't know if it's the AMD Neo processor and video in my Gateway LT3103u, but it seems ok. It runs flash and streaming just find. Vista runs ok, but I plan on installing Windows 7.

24. aroxnj

aroxnj New Member

I have an Acer One, its not the fastest thing in the world but I bought it for college....

25. MassMan

MassMan OT Supporter

i'm also looking for one, i already hhave a 19" 500lb alienware, i want to keep this thing on my desk and have something other tan my iphone/itouch when mobile